Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP DHCP

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  IAP DHCP

Posted Nov 07, 2013 12:36 PM

It looks like by default the IAP DHCP is handing out a 10.254.x subnet.  Where in the VC can I cange that?

• 2.  RE: IAP DHCP

Posted Nov 07, 2013 01:44 PM

How do you have your ssid/network configured ?

Network assigned or VC assigned ?

• 3.  RE: IAP DHCP

Posted Nov 07, 2013 01:45 PM

VC assigned.

• 4.  RE: IAP DHCP

Posted Nov 07, 2013 02:12 PM

From the CLI can you do a show network <ssid name>

And also show ip dhcp database

• 5.  RE: IAP DHCP

Posted Nov 07, 2013 02:18 PM

I can do that, however im looking for this in the GUI interface.  There has to be a place to change the default DHCP subnet.

• 6.  RE: IAP DHCP

Posted Nov 07, 2013 03:03 PM

Not sure that you can,

Check out this video on the "Magic" vlan

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Video/VIDEO-Magic-VLAN/ta-p/115241

• 7.  RE: IAP DHCP

Posted Nov 08, 2013 04:20 PM

Thanks for the link.  This explains a lot.  

So I have a unique serrano.  I have a client that I just deployed 4 IAP's.  This client does not use DHCP, everything inside the building has a static address.  I statically assigned all AP's and VC with an address of 192.168.1.x and created two SSID's.  The "Employee SSID" is configured for the VC to had out DHCP, no restrictions.  Everything works great on this SSID, I can hit local resources and speeds are great.  I created another SSID "Guest" again VC handing out DHCP, and the following rules.

1. Allow DHCP to all dest

2. Allow DNS to 192.168.1.x

3. Allow Http to all dest

4. Allow Https to all dest

5. Deny any to all dest

When connected to this Guest SSID I notice that the speeds are definitely slower.  I am not sure what I misconfigured or if this is even correct.  

Any suggestions?

• 8.  RE: IAP DHCP

Posted Nov 07, 2013 03:51 PM

Go to System --> Select Advanced Options  -->  Then make changes under DHCP Tab.

• 9.  RE: IAP DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 07, 2013 07:11 PM

Another thing you can do is use Local, L3 config in the More--> DHCP server screen.  This will allow the VC to hand out IP addresses on that VLAN ID configured here LOCALLY and not have to do the VC/NAT type scenario as seen in the Virtual Controller Assigned network option.

So...when you create a DHCP scope and choose Local, L3...you specify a VLAN ID.  That VLAN id is then matched in the SSID VLAN settings.

These settings are more often than not associated with our Instant + VPN solution however, I believe this MIGHT work without a VPN tunnel up and running as the VC acts as the DHCP server AND default gateway for this subnet.

From the user guide - 

OnselectingLocal,theDHCPserverforlocalbranchnetworkisusedfor keeping the scope of the subnet local to the IAP. 

Screen Shot 2013-11-07 at 7.05.38 PM.png