Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP Is Flapping Between Port

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  IAP Is Flapping Between Port

Posted Nov 20, 2015 04:15 PM

I'm hunting down the source of some network connectivity issues here and observed the following messages on our Cisco 2960S switch such as this one:

Host wxyz.1234 in vlan 1 is flapping between port Gi2/0/45 and port Gi1/0/21  (host name changed)

In each one of these cases it includes one of our Aruba IAPs... either a 105 or a 225.

I did come across this post:  Host f8bc.1281.b5ab in vlan 1 is flapping between port Gi2/0/45 and port Gi1/0/21

It would seem that a user roaming between APs might generate this message on the Cisco so it's nothing to really worry about.

Any additional thoughts?

#AP225

• 2.  RE: IAP Is Flapping Between Port

Posted Aug 23, 2016 07:09 PM
    Hi Chris, I have the same problem, you resolved to solved this problem? please confirm, what is the problem that cause this. Thank you. Regards, Luis Aguilar Ruiz

• 3.  RE: IAP Is Flapping Between Port

Posted Aug 24, 2016 12:48 PM
    I learned this is nothing to get alarmed about as it is expected behavior when a device roams from one access point to another.

I only uncovered this when looking into a connectivity issue. Turned out the issue was a duplicate IP being used by Comcast. That was fun, to say the least, but had nothing to do with our APs or the "flapping".

Chris Wagner | Saint Cletus Parish | Director of Technology / Social Media Manager | p. 708-215-5420
    cwagner@stcletusparish.com | www.stcletusparish.com

Connect with me: Facebook | Twitter
    Connect with St. Cletus: Church | School | Youth | Building Campaign | YouTube

• 4.  RE: IAP Is Flapping Between Port

Posted Aug 24, 2016 12:55 PM

Hi Chris

Thank for your answer.

we will monitor the network, but the strange thing is that the wireless user has not moved. We reduce the potency of IAP.

Regards,
    Luis Aguilar Ruiz

ACMP - CNNA - NSE4 - CCSE