Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all
This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  IAP Licenses

Posted Oct 10, 2011 07:00 AM
    Hello. I am working on producing a network design for the implimentation of IAP's. (I should add that I am not an Aruba expert and have never seen these devices so therefore these may be silly questions)
    In the past I have only every designed around AP's + Controller environments. To purchase an IAP, is it necessary to purchase single licenses with it - PEFNG, RFP etc. or do these come with a single license installed.
    If in the future it is necessary to change the firmware and hang these off a convenvtional controller, how much is involved in the upgrade? many thanks.

• 2.  RE: IAP Licenses
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 10, 2011 07:05 AM

Hello. I am working on producing a network design for the implimentation of IAP's. (I should add that I am not an Aruba expert and have never seen these devices so therefore these may be silly questions)
    In the past I have only every designed around AP's + Controller environments. To purchase an IAP, is it necessary to purchase single licenses with it - PEFNG, RFP etc. or do these come with a single license installed.
    If in the future it is necessary to change the firmware and hang these off a convenvtional controller, how much is involved in the upgrade? many thanks.

Welcome!

Once you purchase and IAP you do not need to purchase anything additional UNLESS you convert it and connect it to a controller. If you do, the controller needs to be licensed. In the future it is necessary to point them to a controller to make that IAP controller-based. There is a tab in the IAP that lets you point it to a controller and it will do the upgrade and reboot.

• 3.  RE: IAP Licenses

Posted Oct 25, 2016 02:25 AM

Hi

Once you purchase and IAP you do not need to purchase anything additional UNLESS you convert it and connect it to a controller. 

This seems not to be true: you won't be able to get any (security) fixes. You can only get new firmware when you buy some sort of support contract.

regards,

Frank

• 4.  RE: IAP Licenses

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 25, 2016 06:55 AM
    You receive all GA releases for free. Early deployment code does require support.

• 5.  RE: IAP Licenses

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 25, 2016 07:45 AM

@fkorpershoek wrote:

Hi

Once you purchase and IAP you do not need to purchase anything additional UNLESS you convert it and connect it to a controller. 

This seems not to be true: you won't be able to get any (security) fixes. You can only get new firmware when you buy some sort of support contract.

regards,

Frank

To be clear, security fixes are certainly included.  All Limited Lifetime Warranty can be downloaded here:  http://support.arubanetworks.com/LifetimeWarrantySoftware/tabid/121/DMXModule/661/Default.aspx?EntryId=21997

• 6.  RE: IAP Licenses

Posted Oct 25, 2016 08:08 AM

Hi cjoseph,

@cjoseph wrote:

To be clear, security fixes are certainly included.  All Limited Lifetime Warranty can be downloaded here:  http://support.arubanetworks.com/LifetimeWarrantySoftware/tabid/121/DMXModule/661/Default.aspx?EntryId=21997

Via the website I found a firmware update which was not accesible for me. I created a support ticket and the reponse from Aruba Support was that I should have a valid support contract to be able to get it. In some other thread in this forum I found the above URL which indeed enabled me to get the latest bits. Luckily my device is now running updated :-) If Aruba Support had know this, it would have saved me some frustration ;-) Anyway, thanks for your response.

regards, Frank

• 7.  RE: IAP Licenses

Posted Oct 10, 2011 07:19 AM
    Many thanks for the quick reply... no doubt I will be bouncing many other questions of the forum in due coarse.