Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP - MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2 from Station

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  IAP - MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2 from Station

Posted Jun 14, 2016 04:02 AM

Dear community hoping you can help please, I have a dual Instant Access Point 205 setup.

Corporate wireless network is configured, using WPA-2 / WPA and internal authentication server. iphones are fine when users connect but windows 10 clients will not connect. Any ideas please?

Security logs read:

Jun 14 13:53:53  stm[1849]: <132094>  |AP NERA_AP01@10.1.10.11 stm|  MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2 from Station …… Have I missed something in the configuration?

• 2.  RE: IAP - MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2 from Station
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2016 06:55 AM

Are you using Preshared Key authentication or 802.1x?

That message is fairly generic and we need to narrow down the issue.

• 3.  RE: IAP - MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2 from Station

Posted Jun 14, 2016 08:19 AM
    Hi cjoseph, I am using 802.1x using the built in authentication server. Each
    user has been set up with an ID and password. I also tried to create a
    second similar SSID but experience the same issue. Thanks

• 4.  RE: IAP - MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2 from Station
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2016 08:31 AM

Okay.  Windows 10 has some known issues when the internal server is used for authentication (802.1x termination).  Please see the thread here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Authentication-with-EAP-PEAP-on-Windows-10/td-p/252673  It has to do with EAP-TLS 1.2

The long-term solution is to use an external radius server.  The short-term solution is to use the hack here:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3121002

• 5.  RE: IAP - MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2 from Station

Posted Jun 22, 2016 04:18 AM

Thanks to those of you who commended on this one. You were correct in terms of it being a windows 10 issue. Apparently TLS 1.2 certificates are mandated by Windows 10. This issue was resolved by upgrading the ArubaOS on the IAP. The updated ArubaOS includes a compliant TLS 1.2 certificate and as such this is resolved.

Please note, the IAP software was updated by downloading from the Aruba support site as the opton to "check for updates" via the IAP web interface did not access the recently released version. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated. And my apologies for the delayed feedback.