Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP MTU discovery

This thread has been viewed 46 times
  • 1.  IAP MTU discovery

Posted Dec 02, 2016 07:27 AM

hello Airheads,

i was wondering do Aruba Instants do mtu discovery on ethernet port?

if not can can you change the mtu size?

cheers

pete

• 2.  RE: IAP MTU discovery

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 02, 2016 07:36 AM
    Between the IAP and what device?

• 3.  RE: IAP MTU discovery

Posted Dec 02, 2016 07:37 AM

does it matter

• 4.  RE: IAP MTU discovery

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 02, 2016 01:49 PM
    It does matter. Controller based APs communicate with access points across routers, so there is an MRI that needs to be negotiated. iAPs only communicate with APs on their own subnet and no router is involved. So, again, between which two devices are you talking about?

• 5.  RE: IAP MTU discovery

Posted Dec 03, 2016 04:38 AM

thanks Colin,

i think what i am after is whether you can change the mtu on a vlan interface as you can on an Aruba controller vlan interface.

Recently we had an issue whereby i had to reduce the mtu on an Aruba contoller interface (from 1500 to 1490) in order to overcome a fragmentation issue. So that was why i was asking about mtu congiuration possibilities on an Instant.

cheers pete

• 6.  RE: IAP MTU discovery

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 03, 2016 05:29 AM

Most of the user traffic on instant is not routed by the instant AP; the default gateway of clients is typically another router that user traffic is bridged to.  Instant does not even have ip interfaces on that VLANs;  So the question of MTU is relevant to the first hop router and not instant.  On the controller you would have to manipulate MTU because the controller has to send traffic to/from the AP, which crosses routers.  In instant, there is no parallel construct.

• 7.  RE: IAP MTU discovery

Posted Dec 02, 2016 08:44 AM
    do you mean tcp path MTU?

#AirheadsMobile

• 8.  RE: IAP MTU discovery

Posted Dec 02, 2016 09:38 AM

err.. ok let's say i do.

can it ?

cheers

pete