Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP Setup For School

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  IAP Setup For School

Posted Aug 10, 2016 12:07 PM

We are setting up 20 IAP 205s and 1 IAP 225 for our small school. The 225 will be for our gym area which get a high number of users. We are putting one 205 in each classroom.

Each classroom typically has around 20 students in it each with their own chromebook. I have started the setup and it's going well so far getting them provisioned. The 225 is on back order so I have one of the 205s as virtual controller for now.

I'm looking for tips on optimizing our setup. I'm new to Aruba and although support will answer specific questions, don't seem to be able to discuss general best practices.

One question I have to start is how to load balance between the two radios. Part of the upgrade we're getting with these over our old APs is dual radios and I want to make sure we are using that capability.

From there, just looking for some advice/best practices on getting these working well in our small school.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: IAP Setup For School

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 10, 2016 12:27 PM

Please read the post here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Removing-the-Bottleneck-in-Wireless/ba-p/77978

With regards to load balancing between radios, this is done automatically by clientmatch.  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_42_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm?_ga=1.43038629.1615771646.1440445030#UG_files/ARM/Configuring_ARM-Features.htm#Spectrum

You should make sure you are running Instant 4.2.x.x. or later to ensure you are running the latest and greatest version of Client Match

• 3.  RE: IAP Setup For School

Posted Aug 16, 2016 07:50 PM

I'll second cjoseph: the balancing is mostly automatic.

We have had some issues with very-old clients (b-mostly) not listening to the iAPs as they try to steer the clients. The students aren't likely to have stuff that old.

You should make sure the school isn't expecting to have that ancient (such that no one will remember until after you go live) wireless-printer in the closet running on your spiffy new network.

• 4.  RE: IAP Setup For School

Posted Aug 17, 2016 10:30 AM

Thanks guys. I went through that post about removing bottlenecks. I talked with support though and they make it sound like they recommend leaving everything as default at least to start.

For example, I changed the min/max power per that article. Support recommended changing it back. 

I am a little leery of support knowing the big picture. Sometimes support is good at knowing how to setup specific features/details but isn't so good at design.

• 5.  RE: IAP Setup For School

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 17, 2016 12:06 PM

Honestly,

Neither I or support are onsite where you are.  The article mentions starting points; the final power could be changes based on your individual circumstances.  It is important that you know how to poll your users to make sure that if you had a problem, you know if it is getting better or worse.