Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP - VLANs & SSIDs / Best Practice

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  IAP - VLANs & SSIDs / Best Practice

Posted Jul 17, 2017 03:24 PM

What are opinions on having a separate SSID for 1:1 at a school?  On paper, having a separate SSID for the 1:1 devices and assigning a separate VLAN seems to make sense.

However, there is a great number of documents that speak to the extra overhead multiple SSIDs can have.  And, generally, the less the better.

Currently, I do have 3 SSIDs.  A general wifi for our managed devices... like laptops and iPads.  A guest wifi.  And also a "mobile device" SSID designed more for the employee-owned devices (on its own VLAN).  For example, their cell phones.  This may even seem like too many SSIDs to some white paper authors.

So, does adding a 4th SSID makes sense in practice for 1:1 students devices or just asking for trouble adding more SSIDs?  Should I just have them use the existing wifi SSID and not VLAN?  We have a mix of IAP105s, 215s, and a few 225s.

• 2.  RE: IAP - VLANs & SSIDs / Best Practice

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2017 03:59 PM

What are the other 3 SSIDs for?

• 3.  RE: IAP - VLANs & SSIDs / Best Practice

Posted Jul 17, 2017 04:07 PM

SSID:  Wifi - Used for owned devices such as laptops, iPads, and other misc devices... a few printers, a few Google Cast devices.  WPA2 password.

SSID:  Guest - VLAN'ed for guest access.  WPA2 password.

SSID:  Mobile Device - Designed for employees to connect their phones.  The guest network is throttled a bit and may have a few extra web access controls in place.  This "Mobile Device" SSID is more liberal.  It is also VLAN'd.  WPA2 password.

Does adding a 4th SSID for the 1:1 Chromebooks for students make sense?  How noticeable (real world) would adding  the 4th be?  Otherwise, I can just use the general "Wifi" SSID, but it won't be VLAN'd separately.

• 4.  RE: IAP - VLANs & SSIDs / Best Practice

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2017 05:02 PM

How would the traffic profile for the Chromebooks be different from the other 3?  Wouldn't it be just like the 1st SSID or the 3rd SSID?

• 5.  RE: IAP - VLANs & SSIDs / Best Practice

Posted Jul 17, 2017 05:27 PM

If I were to create a separate SSID, I would assign a separate VLAN to that SSID so as to completely separate this traffic from our other devices.

I like the idea of being able to manage traffic for the 1:1 devices separately in their own VLAN.  Makes for setting up rules on the firewall nice and easy.  But, the concern here is mainly what real world negative affect is there of adding a 4th SSID?

FWIW, the device count (potential) for the this 4th SSID would be under 254... but at least 200.  The device count for all the others combined 150-200.

• 6.  RE: IAP - VLANs & SSIDs / Best Practice
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2017 06:53 PM

Adding a 4th SSIDs adds a 4th SSID of management overhead + the traffic of those additional users.  By the 4th SSID you have less and less room for actual data traffic, because it is consumed by 4 SSIDs of management traffic.  If your RF is not good, your WLAN performance will be even worse.  You can try it and see how it goes..

• 7.  RE: IAP - VLANs & SSIDs / Best Practice

Posted Jul 17, 2017 06:56 PM

I figured that was likely the "best" answer.  Less SSIDs... the better.