Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

This thread has been viewed 86 times
  • 1.  IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Jul 21, 2014 12:11 PM

Last week I noticed after some undetermined amount of time, the web interface for my virtual controller will stop working. When I try to access it, it says the webpage is not available. If I reboot the access point that is the home of the virtual controller, it will start working again but apparently stop working again after some time. I even tried upgrading the APs to the newest 4.1.0.0 firmware last Thursday night, but coming in this morning the interface again is not working. No apparent 'error' in our syslog from the controller either.

I would just keep rebooting it, but I really shouldn't have to. People are connected to it so the access point is working fine.

edit: I have five IAP-115.

• 2.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Jul 21, 2014 03:56 PM
    how are you accessing it? by IP? by instant. arubanetworks.com?

have you tried going to the AP IP that's the acting VC. can you ssh into the VC?

does the VC ping?

you're best bet is probably open a TAC case so they can get to the bottom of this

• 3.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Jul 21, 2014 04:00 PM

By IP. Local management.

The VC IP does ping. SSH brings back no reply when I try to connect, though I am pretty sure it did that before I started having problems with the web interface.

Edit: I've also opened TAC issues in the past and gotten pretty poor support. I ended up finding solutions to my problems with a deep Google search after it took them a week to answer me. So I figured I would try here first.

• 4.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 23, 2014 01:52 AM

Is your VC ip different from the IAP itself?  I know from experience from when a customer forgot to exclude the VC ip from the dhcp and one of the IAPs took that address, things went a bit wonky.....similar to the symptoms you describe.

• 5.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Jul 24, 2014 11:25 AM

Nope. All IAP are static assigned. VC is .2 on a /24, IAPs are .248-252. DHCP range is .100-229

Thanks for the reply.

Opened a case with Aruba support. Got a few initial replies, but now it's been days since the last reply. =\

• 6.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Jul 31, 2014 11:54 AM

I'm having the same issue with Instant AP 103's. VC is on the same subet at the other instants but fails to keep a stable connection on the GUI.

Please let me know if you found a solution. 

• 7.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 05, 2014 01:20 PM

No solution yet. The GUI was working yesterday afternoon during a meeting, but then this morning found it to not be working again. 

Support has been no help thus far as usual.

• 8.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 05, 2014 01:23 PM

How many IAPs in that cluster and what is the user count like?

• 9.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 05, 2014 02:10 PM

Five IAPs. Right now We have around 20 client machines and 20 mobile devices.

I just found out something interesting though...

I noticed that yesterday in my meeting it started working, which is on the other side of the office. So if I roam to another IAP that is NOT the master running the virtual controller, I can connect to the Web GUI. I just tested this with another laptop of mine. I walked to the other side of the office and can access the Web GUI while roaming to another AP. My two other machines connected to the master are still unable to load the Web UI.

Neat.

My first thought was access list, but looking at my configuration I don't see much access control. Mostly the only access control I have is setting VLANs for specific users authenticating via RADIUS. The management control wasn't even enabled. I just turned it on to see if it made a difference but it didn't. I'd think any ACLs I do have in place would be in place across all of the IAPs though.

• 10.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 05, 2014 02:31 PM

In my situation the IAPs have been deployed in to different locations (remote small warehouses) with 3-5 IAP’s (103’s).

We have the virtual master controller IP set as a static. When I loss connection or becomes unstable to the static address, I can still reach the GUI from one of other AP’s that have a DHCP address. I have jump from on AP to AP to find one that finally responds and loads properly.

• 11.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Sep 21, 2014 01:16 PM

What is your instant AOS currently running ?

Same issue i have faced few weeks back. Then i upgraded the AOS of all IAP's to 6.3.1.4-4.0.0.6_44126. After upgradation same issue doesnt comes again.

• 12.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 05, 2014 08:13 PM

Have you tried putting a lesser used AP as the master controller?

• 13.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 06, 2014 09:54 AM

It is already one of the lesser used IAPs. There were three devices connected to it last night when I checked.

• 14.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 06, 2014 11:19 AM

Are your clients on the same management VLAN as the APs? If yes then try sepearting the client VLAN and the PA Management VLAN then see if it helps.

• 15.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 06, 2014 11:21 AM

Check  if you have Drop broadcast / multicast?

• 16.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 06, 2014 03:57 PM

There shouldnt be anything dropped if they are on the same network segment, unless I am not clear on what you are asking. Thanks for the help.

• 17.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 06, 2014 04:10 PM

@mcgillicutty wrote:

There shouldnt be anything dropped if they are on the same network segment, unless I am not clear on what you are asking. Thanks for the help.

Hi, i have the same problem here.

What browser are u using?

I see the issue with IE and Firefox. Google Chrome worked perfectly..

I've tried rebooting the access point also and he returns to work for only some time. I'll try to update the firmware to version 4.1.0.1 on Saturday.

Felipe Coelho 

• 18.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 06, 2014 04:25 PM

Thanks. Not a browser issue. First thing I ruled out. Does it on both my OS X systems in Safari, Chrome and Firefox and my linux laptop using Firefox and Chrome. Works when I roam to a non-master IAP.

• 19.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 06, 2014 04:33 PM
      |   view attached

I'm on wired and trying to access.

For me the login screen but does not load when I try to access via Firefox and IE arrives to appear. :smileysad:

Felipe Coelho

• 20.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 07, 2014 10:55 AM

Completely different issue.

• 21.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 07, 2014 11:37 AM

really can;t think of anything else. Try upgrading and change the VC Master and see if it helps.

• 22.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 09, 2014 11:47 AM

I figured out what was causing the problem with the GUI not repsonding.

I had assigned a DHCP reserveration for the master AP that was tied to its MAC address. I assumed that virtual controller IP and master AP needed the same address.

When the master role was changed to another AP, all communtication was lost to my orginal master. I basically had to AP's trying to use the VAC IP address.

I removed the DHCP and MAC address entry from my pool and just excluded the VAC IP address from the pool. Now all my AP's have a different IP address then the VAC IP address and communication to VAC GUI has not been lost. 

• 23.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 09, 2014 11:49 AM

My IPs are all static. No DHCP.

• 24.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 09, 2014 12:34 PM

try patch to the latest firmware via the support site else do a sniffer trace to see what is stopping the GUI from loading,

• 25.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 09, 2014 12:35 PM

Try patch to the latest firmware via the support site else do a sniffer trace to see what is stopping the GUI from loading,

• 26.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 06, 2014 03:57 PM

I'm not sure how that would help... but they are on separate VLANs.

• 27.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 27, 2014 01:56 PM
      |   view attached

We are facing same problem like yours. There are two clusters of 10 APs in a building segmented into two VLANs, but apparently one or the other or both controllers are in-accessible after random amount of time. Only way to access the VCs is to reboot the AP clusters. One forum suggested me that there may be IP conflict with the IP address of VCs. I think the issue is not at all related to IP address conflicts.

I also tried changing the VC's preferred master setting, still the problem persists. I tried ssh to the master but it is of no help.

• 28.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 27, 2014 06:43 PM
    Do you mind opening a ticket with Aruba TAC so this issue can be debugged?

• 29.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 28, 2014 01:21 AM

Aruba support says that "devices doesn't have a valid support contract anymore". But as far as I know things are purchased in two phases. One lot is about 1year six months (30 Nos. of IAP93) old and second lot (100 Nos. of IAP93) is about 5 Months old. Moreover, AirWave licenses augmented with 150 licenses during 2nd lot purchase which is 5 months ago.

Since we are not using any controller and all deployments are Virtual Controller based and well within the specified limit of 16 IAPs cluster.

Pl. suggest.

• 30.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 28, 2014 01:24 AM

Could you share 'show tech-support' from both VCs?

• 31.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 28, 2014 06:25 AM

Pl. see the attached tech support dump.

Thanks

Attachment(s)

txt
    tech-support-vc1.txt   443 KB 1 version
    txt
    tech-support-vc2.txt   408 KB 1 version

• 32.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2014 03:01 PM

Did you try enabling "Broadcast Filter All" in the SSIDs?  I don't see it enabled.

• 33.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 28, 2014 03:27 PM

I'll try that also.

Thanks

• 34.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2014 03:28 PM

Do you have problems getting to it, if your PC is wired, instead of wireless, to rule out RF issues?

• 35.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 28, 2014 04:05 PM

No, it is done wirelessly. Let me observe for a few hours with "broadcast filter all" enabled.

Thanks Colin Joseph

• 36.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2014 04:19 PM

Good deal.

Question:  Is there a reason why the access points are at full power?  By default the minimum is 18 and the max is 127, but you could start at min 12 and max 18 to avoid interference if you have good coverage.  That might improve your performance, as well.

• 37.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 29, 2014 07:24 AM

Hi 

Adjusted powers to Min 12 to Max 18.  Let us see further. 

Many thanks.

Dhiraj Sarma

• 38.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 30, 2014 02:49 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Colin 

As suggested in your previous posts, I did change "broadcast filtering" to all & adjusted the power level in between 12 and 18. But, the problem has not gone yet.

Pl., see the screen shot of Airwave.

One more thing I also noticed that some network activity still goes on from that problem area though the Virtual Controllers arce inaccessible(unable to get ping response or login). 

Could you pl. throw some light on the issue to be investigated further.

Many thanks,

Dhiraj

• 39.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 30, 2014 04:34 PM

A few questions:

- For the wired port profile, why do you have the speed auto and duplex full?  Can you make both auto, OR check to see on the switchport what speed and duplex they negotiated?  Check to make sure there are no errors on the ports of the APs:

speed auto
     duplex full

- Can you please remove the bandwidth contracts on the pataki temporarily?

wlan access-rule patkai
     index 2
     rule any any match any any any permit
     bandwidth-limit peruser downstream 1500
     bandwidth-limit peruser upstream 1500

- Can you possibly upgrade the IAP firmware? (4.1.x.x), etc...?

show version
    Aruba Operating System Software.
    ArubaOS (MODEL: 93), Version 6.3.1.8-4.0.0.7

- Can you please set the clock correctly?  I am not sure your NTP server is working.  This will make it easier to troubleshoot:

show clock
    Current Time     :2000-01-01 07:20:19
    end of show clock
    ntp-server 192.168.3.10

- Please turn of spectrum monitoring if possible to normalize things and possibly improve performance.  Also, interference immunity should be at 2 by default.  Please change it back to 2.  Increasing it to more than 2 decreases your effective range in an attempt to :

rf dot11g-radio-profile
     spectrum-monitor
     interference-immunity 4

- You do have alot of RF activity on the 2.4ghz band, but since this is a single-band access point that is all you have.  Hopefully the changes reduce things some:

Ch Busy perct @ beacon intvl 46 53 29 30 43 35 38 39 29 23 26 46 47 32 48 47 37 30 41 44 

These suggestions are to just normalize to deployment and to see if things change.

• 40.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Sep 04, 2014 01:15 AM

Thanks Colin,

Now the things are stable and not seen any VC outage since last 3 days. The things have worked after reducing the default radio power between 12 and 16 and disabled per user bandwidth reservation. Thanks once again for reviewing our configuration.

Regards,

Dhiraj

• 41.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Aug 30, 2014 04:21 PM

Man did my thread get seriously hijacked or what? :P

• 42.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 30, 2014 04:35 PM

@mcgillicutty wrote:

Man did my thread get seriously hijacked or what? :P

mcgillicutty,

Please tell us your latest.  Did you upgrade the firmware?

• 43.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Sep 04, 2014 01:36 PM

Firmware is 6.4.0.3-4.1.0.1_45063. I see today that 4.1.0.2 is out but I see no changelog on it or posts yet, so I don't want to update it yet.

Basically I cannot connect to the web interface of the virtual controller while I am connected to it. If I roam to another IAP that it controls, I am able to get to the VC web interface. My first thought was some sort of ACL but I'm not sure that explains why I can connect to it via another IAP.

• 44.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Jan 11, 2023 11:23 AM
    Even though this topic is very old, I do want to reply here because i've experienced the same problems (I think)
    And I've read a couple of topics with pretty much the same problem. For my setup I've found the solution.

TLDR:
    Deny local routing :enable

Long story:
    Recently i've received two leftover Aruba IAP-205's. 
    In my home I have a setup with a firewall which does all layer 3 routing. 
    My switch only handles vlans. 

Vlan 10 management 192.168.10.0/24
    Vlan 30 Wifi clients 192.168.30.0/24

Both Aruba AP's have an IP in the vlan 10 subnet

AP1 : 192.168.10.13 (master)
    AP2 : 192.168.10.14
    VC: 192.168.10.15

When I am connected to AP2 and receive a 192.168.30.* ip, I am able to connect to the WebGui on 192.168.10.15
    When I am connected to AP1, also with a 192.168.30.* ip, I am NOT able to connect to the WebGui on 192.168.10.15

At this point:
    I can ping all AP's including the VC.
    I can reach the WebGui of the slave.
    I can SSH the slave
    From the slave, I can SSH to the master

When I reboot the master, and AP2 becomes the master, the situation is completely turned around.

After reading a lot of topics with similar problems, without a solution. I checked the config again and again.
    And i found the following option:
    Deny local routing :disable

I set this to:
    Deny local routing :enable
    This means that all traffic destined to other vlans is sent to the firewall instead of trying to route itself.

Which solved my problem.
    In hindsight, quit the obvious solution.

• 45.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted May 12, 2023 09:49 AM

Hi Richard

Thanks for your detail post, I have the same problem. So I denyed local routing, but saddly it doesn't work.
    When I ping my virtual controller, the respone comes back from the APs MAC instead the gateway. 
    Do you have any advice?

Best regards
    Timon

• 46.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted May 14, 2023 02:23 AM

Hi Timon, 

Can you elaborate some about your network design, including IP adresses and such information. 

• 47.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted May 15, 2023 02:20 AM

Hi Ricard 

Sure!

- I have a Management VLAN 10 for my Switches and the VC (10.11.10.0/24)
    - The APs are in separate VLAN 11 (10.11.11.0/24)
    - My PC is in a Admin VLAN 15 (10.11.15.0/24)
    - The Gateway of these Network is a FortiGate FW

What I found out:
    - When my client is connected via Ethernet, I get a IP in the VLAN 15, and I can connect to the VC in the VLAN 10
    - When my client is connected via WLAN, same AP where the VC is running, I can't access the web
    - When I'm on an onther AP, I can access the web admin
    - I pinged the VC and captured the packets with wireshark. I found out that the answer has a source mac of the AP an not from the FW. Conclusion is: that the AP is returning my packet direktly instead via the Gateway 
    - I found your answer and denyed local routing, but it had no impact 

Thanks
    Timon

• 48.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted May 17, 2023 01:45 PM

Very thanks for @richard_z 's great help

I would like to share my current situation below:

I have obtained two AP-535 devices with the default build version of 8.7.1.6. I have configured both APs as DHCP clients and connected them to my DHCP server with an IP range of 192.168.X.X/255.255.0.0 and a gateway of 192.168.10.254.

When only one AP is connected to the DHCP server, I can access the VC IP and log in to the WebUI using a wired network connection. However, when the second AP joins the DHCP network, I am unable to access the VC IP and even pinging the IP results in no response.

To workaround this issue, I have created a new SSID. I can reluctantly access the VC IP and log in to the WebUI using a wireless connection. However, there are times when the login process is slow, and sometimes it times out in the Chrome browser.

Enabling the 'Deny local routing' option (disabled by default) allows me to access the VC IP, Master AP, or Slave AP to log in to the WebUI.

Thank you for your assistance."

• 49.  RE: IAP Virtual Controller web interface stops working

Posted Jan 24, 2024 10:42 AM

did some research cause I had the same issue and same setup like yours. 
    Was there ever a permanent fix to this? Was this acknowledged as a bug from Aruba's end? Seeing that people will eventually wish to have "intra VLAN traffic" on (for example) the management network, disabling this option is not so handy.

But great find! Thanks for sharing.