Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP and vlan pooling question

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP and vlan pooling question

Posted Dec 16, 2013 05:24 AM

Hi all, a question re IAP cluster and vlan pooling.

If I have a cluster of IAP 105's, 3 distinct SSI'ds each with a static vlan assigned, for instance

vlan 100 guest

vlan 200 staff

vlan 300 apple

if i use vlan pooling for each ssid as recommended, does this mean a wireless client when connecting drops into either of these 3 vlans at random and therefore picks up a dhcp address in that vlan ?

thanks

• 2.  RE: IAP and vlan pooling question

Posted Dec 16, 2013 07:47 AM

That is correct. If you use pooling, the client could be in any vlan in the pool

The "randomness" is based upon a hash of the client mac if memory serves me correctly.

• 3.  RE: IAP and vlan pooling question

Posted Dec 16, 2013 08:01 AM

Thanks, thats great, one other q if anyone can help, enabling airplay globally would negate necesarily using a specific Apple SSID ?

Would this affect enabling multicast ARP ?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: IAP and vlan pooling question

Posted Dec 16, 2013 08:25 AM

I think the answer you're looking for is yes, it probably does negate it.

BUT, that's me making an assumption that the reason you had a specific apple VLAN in the first place, was due to challenges with bonjour/mdns etc (apple "multicast" stuff) when traversing vlans?

If that was the reason, the answer's yes. If there were other reasons the apple stuff was on a specific VLAN, they might still be relevant?

I think your second question is related to dropping bcast/mcast and converting ARP to unicast? If so, my understanding is Airgroup works along side this (when enabled) just fine.