Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP autojoin mode - how?

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  IAP autojoin mode - how?

MVP
    Posted Dec 19, 2011 08:35 AM

I cannot seem to find in the manual the exact method the IAP uses to find the other AP's (specifically the Virtual Controller one).

So my question is: how do they try to find the VC?  Is it the same as a normal AP does to find the master controller (config, dhcp, adp, dns)?

Looking for this info as my IAP's will need to connect over a layer3 network. If dns is one of the methods, what name does it try to resolve?

• 2.  RE: IAP autojoin mode - how?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 19, 2011 08:38 AM
    I don't believe that is possible. It was my understanding that they all needed to be on the same layer 2 network.

• 3.  RE: IAP autojoin mode - how?

MVP
    Posted Dec 19, 2011 08:48 AM

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/TB_Aruba-Instant.pdf

"Up to 16 Aruba Instant APs can be configured per Layer 2 subnet, or Virtual Controller group, and enterprises can have as many subnets or Virtual Controller systems as needed on a campus or in a building."

Bit dubious way to put it, but I'm affraid you might be right. :smileysad:

• 4.  RE: IAP autojoin mode - how?
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 19, 2011 08:03 PM

Once you configure your first Instant AP, all Instant APs that connect to that layer2 segment will automatically discover the existing configured iAP and join the instance. All instant APs in the instance must reside on the same Layer2 segment for management. 

Now - if you're dealing with multiple groups of instant APs, you can do automatic discovery of AirWave by defining option 60 in DHCP. You can find more info about this in the user guide under 'Airwave Integration and Management'. 

• 5.  RE: IAP autojoin mode - how?

Posted Jan 12, 2012 02:47 PM

Hi all,

about virtual controller, i have 4 IAP 105 operating in a virtual controller. I'm trying to add 2 more 105 IAP and when i connect the first one in the wired network it cant join in the virtual controller. I get some strange log messagens showing "fwd-mode:0 mesh":

asap_send_elected_master: sent successfully
    wait for stm to initialize over
    User: asap_send_elected_master: sent successfully
    vap aruba000 vlan is 0. fwd-mode:0 mesh
    RESTARTING ALL TX

Is this the right mode to join in the virtual controller?

what can be happening? (I'm newer with this products)

See the entire attached log file. 

Thank you!

• 6.  RE: IAP autojoin mode - how?

Posted Jan 12, 2012 03:03 PM

If you have 4 IAPs already up, then one of them is the master virtual controller (VC). Couple of things ot check:

- make sure the autojoin settings are enabled under the settings/advanced tab

- make sure the 2 new IAPs are in the same VLAN (subnet) as the ones you have set up already.

trying to figure out where to look for the logs as I don't see an attachment.

thanks,

Shashi

• 7.  RE: IAP autojoin mode - how?

Posted Jan 12, 2012 03:17 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Sassy, thanks for your fast replay.

Check for autojoin in these two Acess Points?

Yes, they are in the same vlan (subnet).

Thanks again,

Attachment(s)

zip
    log wifi 2 anda.zip   2 KB 1 version

• 8.  RE: IAP autojoin mode - how?

Posted Jan 12, 2012 04:00 PM
      |   view attached

Check Auto join mode is enabled on the virtual controller as shown in the attachment.

I don't see anything unsual in the logs except for the "asap mode disabled :." It appears that the master was detected by this IAP. I will follow up on that.

Are they all IAP 105?

Attachment(s)

docx
    autojoin.docx   162 KB 1 version

• 9.  RE: IAP autojoin mode - how?

Posted Jan 12, 2012 07:16 PM

I just verified that the "asap mode disabled" message in the log refers to the Autojoin mode being disabled. Please connect to the UI of the virtual controller and check the settings as I described in the doc.

I hope this fixes the issue.

thanks,

Shashi

• 10.  RE: IAP autojoin mode - how?

Posted Aug 31, 2012 06:05 PM

Look like a country code issue. Can you send me the output of summary from the virtual controller and the IAP that has issue?

• 11.  RE: IAP autojoin mode - how?

Posted Sep 11, 2012 05:13 AM

Good thread here, i thought whether this could fit here too. If having 2 locations connected with VPN to each other but different subnets, could IAP connect to each other , im not sure if the traffic is tunneled between those (i dont think) so this cant properly work if having other subnet on branch location.

if having controller_based APs then this is working fine, but i dont think this could work with IAPs .e.g. you have HQ with 3 IAPs and then one branch connected via VPN and 1 IAP outside and then having some construction of 4 IAPS ,

Not working or?

regards

• 12.  RE: IAP autojoin mode - how?

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 04, 2015 02:06 PM

You should have difference VC...

One by Subnet !