Controllerless Networks

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

IAP - blocking unwanted wireless extenders

Hello Community!

Is there any feature to block unwanted wireless extenders? I need to ban any extender from my wireless network, but it is very difficult to deal with a black list based on MAC Addresses. Do extenders have any behavior that can be detected or blocked with IPS features?

Can the IPS Protecion feature do that - rogue_containment, protect_ssid, protect_ap_impersonation, protect_adhoc_network functions turned on?

Is there any other solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance

Best rehards,

Joao Martins

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Re: IAP - blocking unwanted wireless extenders

Hi Dustin, thank you for your attention.

After a few weeks, I have news... indeed, the IAPs refuse the association of legacy repeaters if IDS measures are applied. 

Thank you for the information regarding to violation of FCC  regulations. In this case we don't have any problems with that - the warehouse is on the middle of nowhere!

As you say, I also believe no such feature exists to explicit block legacy repeaters or wifi range extenders. But IDS feature solve my problem.

Thank you Dustin, take care and stay safe.

Cheers, Joao

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor II

I don't think IAPs have this kind of capability. Also, if your networks border any other companies/users networks, blocking/jamming the RF can put you in violation with FCC regulations....Might need to do some homework on that.

Dustin Burns
Senior Mobility and Access Engineer @WEI
ACMX #509 | ACCX #1272 | ACSA | ACDA | ACEA | CCNP | CCDP | CCNA Wireless

If my post address your queries, give kudos and accept as solution!
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Hi Dustin, thank you for your attention.

After a few weeks, I have news... indeed, the IAPs refuse the association of legacy repeaters if IDS measures are applied. 

Thank you for the information regarding to violation of FCC  regulations. In this case we don't have any problems with that - the warehouse is on the middle of nowhere!

As you say, I also believe no such feature exists to explicit block legacy repeaters or wifi range extenders. But IDS feature solve my problem.

Thank you Dustin, take care and stay safe.

Cheers, Joao

View solution in original post

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: