Controllerless Networks

Re: IAP can support how many unit in a single cluster

@cjoseph wrote:

100 access points is considered the limit for a cluster.  You should consider a controller if you would exceed that.

Is that a new requirement? According to the Instant VRD and many other Aruba's documents (and also as Herman said at the beginning of this post), there is no hard limit of the number of IAPs for a cluster, although the number tested by Aruba is 128. Even if we take this number for the hard limit, the case of 100 IAPs is fine and there is still room for growing in the same cluster.

Regards,

Julián

Highlighted
Guru Elite

The VRD says 128, but how many access points you can deploy is really dependent on the CPU of access point that is the VC (virtual controller) because it will be managing all the statistics for the cluster.  I was answering specifically to the question that @sotirr asked.  Having a cluster with 128 access points also mandates that there is little to no other wired devices on the same layer 2 management VLAN as the cluster.  If @sotirr  wants to skip past any of the possible issues, he should just deploy a controller.  Deploying a warehouse is labor intensive and @sotirr should get more Aruba advice specific to his/her deployment to determine which way to go.  I am answering based on the general information that @sotirr has given me.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos

Hi Colin,

Thanks for aswering. Two doubts about this:

1. I didn't realize the AP in question is an AP-304, which is a small AP in terms of CPU, etc. So, what model of AP have to be considered to form a cluster of around 128 IAPs?
  2. You said "Having a cluster with 128 access points also mandates that there is little to no other wired devices on the same layer 2 management VLAN as the cluster." If you have a management VLAN of mask /24 for example, you can have till 254 hosts. Can't you have 128 IAPs and 126 wired devices on the same management VLAN?

Regards,

Julián

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: