Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP connected behind instant mesh LAN supported?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  IAP connected behind instant mesh LAN supported?

Posted Dec 18, 2017 06:21 AM

I can't seem to find any proper documentation on it so I'll ask it here instead. Is below setup supported? (apologies for the poor drawing)

IAP.pngI'm trying to get this live and everything is up and running so far. However once I connect an IAP to the switch behind the mesh network, I am getting weird behaviour and it also won't join the cluster. 

• 2.  RE: IAP connected behind instant mesh LAN supported?

Posted Dec 19, 2017 02:05 AM
    Mee too

• 3.  RE: IAP connected behind instant mesh LAN supported?

Posted Dec 19, 2017 02:05 AM
    Mee too

• 4.  RE: IAP connected behind instant mesh LAN supported?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 19, 2017 04:55 AM

I'm pretty confident that this is an unsupported configuration. Instant AP daisy chaining (putting an AP uplink on the downlink of another) is in general not recommended but works in the situation where you have one AP connected to the internet and others directly connected to ports on that uplink AP. This is called Hierarchical Mode Design and described in the Aruba Instant VRD.

The rule you are breaking in that scenario is:

- Ensure that the downlink port that is configured for IAP access is not used for any wired client connection.

I can't say that it would work if you connect the second AP directly on the mesh point AP, but it suggests your scenario is not supported. You may ask your local Aruba SE for a more definitive answer.

Others that have different information are welcome to respond.

• 5.  RE: IAP connected behind instant mesh LAN supported?

Posted Dec 19, 2017 10:55 AM

Kudos, that makes perfect sense! With this setup we are indeed breaking that downlink rule, even if it is with an extra hop in between.

Originally the additional IAP's behind the mesh weren't needed and the setup was working just fine. However the end customer wanted to provide some additional rooms with wireless while the distance for extra mesh points (2nd hop) was simply too great. 

I'll inform them the only alternative will be to create a separate vlan/VC cluster in the other building. Cheers!

• 6.  RE: IAP connected behind instant mesh LAN supported?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2017 09:52 PM

I've implemented this same setup but the AP's behind the Mesh have to be on a seperate Cluster/VC. Seeing that it is just a single or a few AP's I usually use a switch that supports being a dhcp server and have the local switch provide IP's for those AP's.Just be sure you route that new network.  Example installation was a mesh to a pressbox and then AP or AP's local to handle users. 

Thanks, 

Jerald