Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP error after loop in the network.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP error after loop in the network.

Posted Dec 12, 2013 06:50 AM

Hi Guys,

I've just had a call from a school where we've recently installed 106 x IAP 105's. They had someone patch a loop in to their network yesterday which has now been fixed but its caused a bit of an issue with the IAP's.

The radio lights have gone red, and she can't get in to the management console. The main SSID still seems to be working but thats pulling DHCP ect from the schools server. The guest network however which the IAP's provide the DHCP for isn't working.

Now the loop has been removed I'm guessing simply rebooting the AP's will solve the issue but without being able to get in to the GUI rebooting 106 AP's manually isn't something I really want to do. So what I'm after is if any of you have come accross this before and if so how do i get around it?

I'm heading down there in a couple of hours so would rather have a plan of action other than just unplugging 106 AP's

Thanks,

Mike.

• 2.  RE: IAP error after loop in the network.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 12, 2013 07:08 AM

please work with our support as well.  can you find who is acting as the vc and reboot that ap?

• 3.  RE: IAP error after loop in the network.

Posted Dec 12, 2013 07:15 AM

Hi Seth,

given that we can't get in to the VC GUI do you know if there is a way to do it via the serial port?

Thanks,

Mike.

• 4.  RE: IAP error after loop in the network.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 12, 2013 07:40 AM
    Yes you can or just simply unplug the vc and then try the vc address. Another ap should take it over.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: IAP error after loop in the network.

Posted Dec 12, 2013 08:13 AM

Ok Seth I'll try that. how would I go about discovering the master through the console port, is it something that will come up during the boot sequence or is there a specific command that I'll need to enter?

We havent set a VC address we've got a couple of the AP's set on static IP's and dial in via those but that's not working, neither is the instant.arubanetworks.com address when connected to the network.

• 6.  RE: IAP error after loop in the network.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 12, 2013 08:15 AM
    I would definitely open a case.

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: IAP error after loop in the network.

Posted Dec 12, 2013 12:34 PM

ok, I've brought one of the AP's back with me, I'm hoping i can pull of the logs (assuming they keep them after they are turned off) so I'll get them sent off to Aruba and hopefully they can see whats going on.

• 8.  RE: IAP error after loop in the network.
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 16, 2013 04:36 AM

Hi All,

This issue is now resolved. TAC suggested that the AP's were all struggling for dominance so suggested consoling in to one of the IAP's to find out which AP was acting as the VC the locating that on site and unplugging it. If they did not come back online then they suggested powering them all down, bringing one back up and verifying the config and then in stages bring the rest back online.

We didn't get to this point as the technician on site was walking around the school and noticed a couple of the IAP's still had green radio lights, she connected to one of these and was able to log in to the GUI and it was only showing a small group of AP's online, nowhere near the 106 they have on site. She rebooted the group that she could access and within a minute the rest were back online shortly followed by the ones that she had rebooted.

I thought I'd update you incase anyone else came across this problem further down the line.

Thanks,

Mike.

• 9.  RE: IAP error after loop in the network.

Posted Dec 12, 2013 08:06 AM
    How are these APs powered? Is there a POE switch?

• 10.  RE: IAP error after loop in the network.

Posted Dec 12, 2013 08:15 AM

Hi Yan,

Most of them are on POE switches but some of them are on POE injectors.