Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP restarts

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  IAP restarts

Posted Feb 25, 2012 02:21 PM

Hi,

We have created two IAP-93 groups under virtual controller and mapped with two subnet’s viz., 192.168.107.x & 192.168.108.x. Both the networks are connected in the same unmanaged layer 2 switch. The problem being faced is (i) when any IAP-93 is turned ON from the 192.168.108.x subnet , it automatically restarts viz., it does not gets stable. We have tried keeping the SSID same for both the groups as well as keeping them different.

I tried to disable the auto-join mode but it gets enabled every time the AP is restarted. It is problematic to have a layer 3 switch in the network at this moment. Both the subnets get access to the internet via an UTM device where both the subnets are configured under one interface as primary and secondary address. We have configured static IP address for all the AP’s in the network.

How to make all the AP’s stable under this condition

• 2.  RE: IAP restarts

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 25, 2012 02:41 PM

If the subnets are in the same layer2 network, they will see each other.....  You probably cannot do this unless you physically separate them.

• 3.  RE: IAP restarts

Posted Feb 26, 2012 11:26 AM

Thank your Joseph. We will try to seperate the two subnets via two VLAN's.

Please guide me under this circumstance, how to centralise athentication, mobility etc via Airwave.

• 4.  RE: IAP restarts

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 26, 2012 11:53 AM

@shibnm wrote:

Thank your Joseph. We will try to seperate the two subnets via two VLAN's.

Please guide me under this circumstance, how to centralise athentication, mobility etc via Airwave.

shibnm,

Is that the access points need to be on two separate VLANs, or do the users need to be on two separate VLANS?

• 5.  RE: IAP restarts

Posted Feb 26, 2012 12:51 PM
      |   view attached

Thanks Joshep for your prompt response.

Actually we need 25 nod of IAP 93 to wi-fi the whole of intended area. Virtual controller can support upto 16 ap's. We have Unmanaged switch and 1 UTM(Fortinet 50C). Our network diagram is attached for your reference.

[since you have mentioned to physically seperate the AP's that is why I have mentioned about VLAN(logical way to segment the network)].

what is the best possible way to connect all the 25 IAP's and achieve centralised authentication and user mobility.

We have also procured Airwave 50 user license.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    network design.pdf   198 KB 1 version

• 6.  RE: IAP restarts

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 26, 2012 06:32 PM

Are those 25 access points the only Access Points you have, or do you have, or plan to have more?

Will they all be at a single location?

• 7.  RE: IAP restarts

Posted Feb 26, 2012 10:58 PM

We are planning to add 5 more. Beyond that I dont think there will be any further requirement. Yes, they all will be placed in the same building. Its a hotel.

• 8.  RE: IAP restarts

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 27, 2012 07:25 AM

I want to say that you should have a controller, in the deployment, instead of Airwave.  IAP deployments are limited to 16 access points that can "see" each other both on the wired network and wirelessly.   If you had a controller, instead, you could point the IAPs to the controller and convert them to controller-based APs. 

Please check with your local Aruba team to see what your options are to obtaining a 3200 controller instead of Airwave.