Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP show in Virtual Controller, but have default config

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  IAP show in Virtual Controller, but have default config

Posted Apr 26, 2019 10:24 AM
      |   view attached

I have an IAP-315 that connects and shows up in the Virtual Controller (which doesn't show any alerts or errors on it, nor does Airwave give any sign it's not working), but does not broadcast. If you run show running-config, whether through the Support page on the Virtual Controller or through the IAP's CLI, it only has what looks to be the default config.

The only way you can tell something is wrong is to see that the lights on the IAP are flashing an error code or to run a show running-config on each IAP.

When I connect to the IAP, it gives me: "Warning: CLI module is running in a degraded state. Configuration, write memory, and support command are disabled; please debug with caution." I also need to use the default admin/admin to log into the IAP, instead of the admin password I've set for the other ones.

Rebooting the IAP does not help.

I've attached the show tech-support log and a screenshot of how it shows up in the VC.

I had another IAP at this building do the same thing. I worked on the phone with support, and they had me push the reset button on the IAP. When it rebooted, it managed to delete the configs on all the access points connected to that VC - even in Airwave. Support managed to help me get things reconfigured and then called it a day - I haven't been able to get a reason how or why that could happen, nor was I ever able to get an RMA for that IAP (which I don't trust, so it's now a paperweight). So I'm very hesitant to do another factory reset.

I also have an IAP-314 on a different VC that's doing the exact same thing, so this has not been an isolated problem for us.

Thank you

The access point on the Virtual ControllerThe access point on the Virtual Controller

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: IAP show in Virtual Controller, but have default config

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 27, 2019 08:58 AM

Looks like there is some missing info from the tech-support. What is the reg- domain of this IAP, is it a 315-US? 

Are you also using mesh?

Reboot Time and Cause: AP rebooted Thu Oct 4 03:36:06 UTC 2018; mesh link BAD. rebooting mesh point by sapd
    BES 104# show image version

What is the firmware currently running in the existing cluster?

Do you also see any output with the following command?

show ap bss-table

• 3.  RE: IAP show in Virtual Controller, but have default config

Posted Apr 29, 2019 11:40 AM

It's a US access point. As far as I know we aren't using mesh.

They are on 6.5.4.9.

I've included another show tech-support, this time pulled from the VC GUI interface instead of the command line. I included the IAP with the issue (BES104) and one that's working (BES 107) - I think I cleared anything sensitive. I also included the bss-table command from both IAPs.

Thanks

Attachment(s)

txt
    bes104.txt   219 KB 1 version
    txt
    bss-table.txt   3 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: IAP show in Virtual Controller, but have default config

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 30, 2019 05:19 AM

Looking at the tech-support of 104 it was able to locate the master:

hierarchy mode : 0
    last hierarchy beacon received ticks: 0
    provisioned master denied : 0
    last master : a8:bd:27:c0:e4:84 10.113.16.83

You can also see the swam state is okay:

Dec 26 12:39:05  cli[4367]: <341004> <WARN> |AP BES 104@10.113.16.49 cli|  recv non-3g setup_uplink finished from sapd
    Dec 26 12:39:07  cli[4367]: <341004> <WARN> |AP BES 104@10.113.16.49 cli|  Swarm State Change from Startup to Found
    Dec 26 12:39:10  cli[4367]: <341004> <WARN> |AP BES 104@10.113.16.49 cli|  Swarm State Change from Found to Image_ok

Can you please factory reset the bes104 and try again:

AP uptime is 17 weeks 1 day 19 hours 12 minutes 52 seconds
    Reboot Time and Cause: AP rebooted Thu Oct 4 03:36:06 UTC 2018; mesh link BAD. rebooting mesh point by sapd

I'm also curious as to why these logs are from Dec but the bes107 logs are of the current time/date?

• 5.  RE: IAP show in Virtual Controller, but have default config

Posted Apr 30, 2019 04:40 PM

The current time is correct, but you're right, that uptime doesn't add up.

BES 104# show clock

Current Time :2019-04-30 14:28:57

It also shows that ArubaOS was built on the same day it says it rebooted last. Not sure if it's built on the IAP when you upgrade the firmware?

Compiled on 2018-10-04 at 03:25:21 UTC (build 67129) by p4build

I'll have to find some time when nobody is in the building. Like I said, last time I had this issue, I did a factory reset and when the IAP rebooted, all the access points in that building lost their configs too. So I'm a little wary of doing that in the middle of the day.