Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP105 Need Help getting started!!!

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP105 Need Help getting started!!!

Posted Dec 06, 2012 11:17 AM

I have 10 IAP105's that I have setup. I have turned on the first one and I intend on it being the "virtual controller". So In settings at the top right I have entered 172.16.0.109 as the VC IP. Than I clicked edit next to the virtual controller access point and "Specified a static IP of the same. I turned on the second AP, auto join, clicked edit next to it and assigned a static IP of 172.16.0.10.

My employee network is set to "network assign" the client IP's and the guest is set to network DHCP from a 198.162 scope.

When i view the monitor tab for either AP... Under Info on the left it states the AP Name, and it shows the IP address as coming from the network assisnged DHCP scope instead of the statically assigned IP 172.16.x.x. Why?

Second, i have no other physical contoller. just 10 IAP105's. At the bottom of the screen in the center it says "Air Wave Status Not setup". When I click "Set up now" it asks for a Air Wave IP and the rest. What IP is this? Do i need air wave?

Thank you for your help?

• 2.  RE: IAP105 Need Help getting started!!!
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 06, 2012 11:24 AM

You only need to set the VC IP address statically once (on the active VC).  When set only the active VC will respond to this IP address.  If the active VC goes offline the newley elected VC will now respond to the statically assigned VC IP.

If you want to statically assign IP's to each IAP click on the IAP MAC address under the "Access Point" section of the WebUI, under the General Tab click on "IP Address for Access Point - Set Statically".

Airwave is our WLAN management and monitoring application.  It is not required for any Aruba installation but it is a fantastic add-on as it provides historical reporting, visualization of RF, etc.

• 3.  RE: IAP105 Need Help getting started!!!

Posted Dec 06, 2012 11:28 AM

Thank you for your prompt reply. I really appreciate it! Should I be concerned that the IP address under INFO under MONiTOR is pulling a dhcp assigned  address instead of reflecting the Static IP i set for the VC? 

Also, are you saying that I do not need to statically assign a IP for each AP?

Thank you

• 4.  RE: IAP105 Need Help getting started!!!
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 06, 2012 11:33 AM

If DHCP is present each IAP will get its' own IP address.

If you statically assign the VC IP address you will see that in the WebUI plus the VCs own IP address.  Each IAP will also show its' own IP address as you describe.  This is expected behavior.

• 5.  RE: IAP105 Need Help getting started!!!

Posted Dec 06, 2012 11:46 AM

Yes I have a small dlink DHCP server. So I suppose that I am setup and ready to go. I have 8 other 105's to turn on. Should I be able to just turn them on and they will autojoin?  I should not need to configure an IP for each of those?

Not sure if you have this or not... but iw would be really helpful to have videos on youtube that show a technician performing a real-world setup of the IAP105's and talking through the various parameters. At first, its overwhelming. I have the guide but it does not really explain, its more do this step than this. Im thinking more explaining in terms of best practices.

thanks though for your support!

• 6.  RE: IAP105 Need Help getting started!!!

Posted Dec 06, 2012 12:04 PM

Once the initial config is done on the first IAP (VC) all others are simply plug-n-play.  So long as they are all on the same vlan the new members automatically find the VC and get their config automatically.  Auto-join must be enabled which is the default setting.