Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP105 configured into a standalone survey AP

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  IAP105 configured into a standalone survey AP

Posted Feb 27, 2013 09:43 AM

Please can someone provide the true documentation on how to configure a IAP into a standalone access and bring up the radio's only by using a battery pack powering the Ethernet port or a power adaptor.

The IAP has been configured as a standalone IAP but I am unable to bring the radio's up. 

I have seen this on the Web but this doesn't work

1. Run the latest IAP image (currently at IAP 6.1.3.4-3.1.0.0)
    2. Configure an ESSID, set your channel and tx-power according to your site survey requirements
    3. Set IAP to standalone mode (Maintenance –> Convert –> Standalone AP). This step will require an IAP reboot.
    4. Set “enforce Ethernet” below uplink (Settings –> Uplink –> Uplink preference –> Ethernet).
    5. Power up IAP by power adaptor OR battery pack.

Regards

Justin

• 2.  RE: IAP105 configured into a standalone survey AP

Posted Feb 27, 2013 10:08 AM

Hi,

:smileyhappy:

Even in Standalone mode - the virtual controller need to get an IP from DHCP or to give to himself an IP address - this process can take a few long 2 minutes.

Please read carefuly this guide (from page 60) - i think u passed the note regarding the boottime/dhcp time.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/indoor80211n_2012-05-31.pdf

Capture.PNG

Let me know if it's helped you. :smileywink:

Me

• 3.  RE: IAP105 configured into a standalone survey AP

Posted Feb 27, 2013 10:20 AM

i have given the IAP a static address ?

• 4.  RE: IAP105 configured into a standalone survey AP

Posted Feb 27, 2013 10:23 AM

You still need to have ETH link powerd in your iAP...dosent matter if u gave to it an STATIC IP. (connect it to you injector and the injector to your pc.

or connect to your battery and then connect it to you pc eth port.

iAP with no eth port up - assuming that he need to find himself a mesh backual

• 5.  RE: IAP105 configured into a standalone survey AP

Posted Feb 27, 2013 10:52 AM

Thank you for your reply, what are the benefits for a standalone IAP vs Virtual controller for Surveying?

regards

Justin

• 6.  RE: IAP105 configured into a standalone survey AP

Posted Feb 27, 2013 11:08 AM

Read

Aruba Employee

We have done a site survey wit AP 105. The main advantage of using IAP is that you dont need a controller to perform the site survey. Moreover, all you need for an IAP to perform a site survey is a power source and a switch port that can  bring the link up and provide a IP address for IAP.

If a DHCP is not available, then it is fine too as long a the ethernet link to the IAP can be brough up by plugging into a switch port. If a DHCP server is not avilable the IAP will assign itself a IP address from the 169 sddress space (it may take some time for IAP tod edcide there is no DHCP service and assign itself a 169 address) and start broadcasting the SSID. The IAP can be configured to use the magic VLAN (i.e. VC assigned IP) for the users, so that the device used to perform the site survey will get an address from the 192.168.x.x space.

The heat maps produced by IAP 105  should be the same as that of an AP 105 with a controller. A good method to start the site survey would be to use the Visual RF tool of airwave to predict the AP positioning (set the requirements such as AP power and the minimum signal strength requirement in the Visual RF to predict the AP count and placement). Then place the IAP in the areas specified by the visual RF and conduct a manual site survey. You may be required to move the AP a liitle bit if there is a metal beam or elevator shaft next where the AP is supposed to be placed as per visual RF.

Regards,

Sathya

• 7.  RE: IAP105 configured into a standalone survey AP

Posted Feb 27, 2013 11:10 AM
    Instant AP Standalone Mode
    This feature allows you to deploy an Instant AP as an autonomous AP which is a separate entity from
    the existing Virtual Controller cluster in the same Layer 2 domain

• 8.  RE: IAP105 configured into a standalone survey AP

Posted Feb 27, 2013 12:05 PM

A loopback connector works just fine to bring "up" the ethernet interface, assuming you already have the static IP set for the iAP and the VC. I plug the loopback into the PoE injector "LAN" port and connect the "Device" port to the iAP. Then connect battery and place the whole shebang on a lift and we can test actual coverage fairly easily.

• 9.  RE: IAP105 configured into a standalone survey AP

Posted Feb 27, 2013 01:20 PM

You can also just plug it into your laptop until it boots and the radio lights come up, then disconnect and go on your merry way.