Controllerless Networks

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

IAP515 cluster in same vlan as IAP115

Hi Guys,

I have a scenario where I have existing cluster of IAP115 (version 6.5.4.8). There are about 50 IAP115 in the cluster. We are replacing these APs with AP515(version 8.4.0.0). I am planning to put new AP515 in the same management VLAN and same IP subnet. I am assuming because of firmware different AP515 will not form cluster with AP115 and will be fine. Otherwise I have to cut new vlan and add it on all switch ports connecting to existing APs because we are using same cabling and switch ports. Any thought and issue if you foresee with this approach ? Please advise and help.
Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor I

Re: IAP515 cluster in same vlan as IAP115

Unfortunately, if you connect the 5xx's to the same VLAN with the 1xx's, it will try to form a cluster and fail.

You need to create a new isolated VLAN/Network with new unique DHCP properties to create a new cluster.

What I've done is taken a backup of the existing VC, shutdown all 1xx's and connected the 5xx's and restored the backup.

I didn't have to make any network changes...just manual labour.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Contributor I

You are correct, the 5xx AP's will not join with 6.x firmware APs.

Your chosing the best method, create a new network and add the new APs, after you remove all the 1xx AP's you can then collapse the VC and use the new VC.

Highlighted

Hi Shieva,

when you say "create a new network", you mean new cluster of IAP515 in the same vlan and IP subnet as IAP115.. correct ?

Highlighted
Contributor I

Unfortunately, if you connect the 5xx's to the same VLAN with the 1xx's, it will try to form a cluster and fail.

You need to create a new isolated VLAN/Network with new unique DHCP properties to create a new cluster.

What I've done is taken a backup of the existing VC, shutdown all 1xx's and connected the 5xx's and restored the backup.

I didn't have to make any network changes...just manual labour.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

We are replacing about 20 APs in a night. It will be two nights work. So I am unable to shut down all 115s together. I have to keep both the clusters active. I am just wondering other than 'failing' to form the cluster, will there be any instability or so?

Highlighted
Contributor I

The most obvious issue would be clients bouncing between the 1xx AP SSID and the 5xx AP SSID...which should be the same.

2 days of pain for the upgrade isn't too bad...

Highlighted

Thank you so much Shieva. Appreciate your help.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: