Controllerless Networks

Highlighted
New Contributor

Inactive users

What is the benefit to my network if I enabled deauth inactive users?  We use Aruba IAPs.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Re: Inactive users

Screenshot of the setting, please.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Video Knowledge Base
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
New Contributor

Here is screen shot requested.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

It would age out clients that are not active sooner.  Otherwise a client that has gone away and is not sending traffic will stay even longer in the user table.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Highlighted
New Contributor

Colin:

I understand that but is it any benefit to age them out.  Does it cut down on traffic? I guess I am asking why I would do this?

Tom

Highlighted
Guru Elite

If they are inactive there is no traffic, but they show up in the user table.  It removes them from the user table.  That means you would only see clients in the user table that have been sending traffic, as opposed to users who have stopped sending traffic, but we never removed them.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Does it help to re-assign that inactive clients IP to the new device? I mean most of the time I see when we kick someone out from AP forcefully when they have trouble connecting to wi-fi, AP re-assigns the same IP to them whether it is 169.254 or correct IP from DHCP scope. I have noticed even people receive IP on their phone but says No internet.

Highlighted

Hi,

After enabling this de-auth inactive clients setting, I still see users connected to AP. I mean I myself switched on to the different network but I see myself iPhone on AP

Highlighted
Guru Elite

If no traffic is seen from the client based on the seconds in the inactivity timer, the user will be removed from the user table.  Enabling the "deauth inactive users" parameter  means the access points will also send a deauth to those clients.

Clients are not removed immediately from the user table; the inactivity timer determines when users are removed.  Enabling the "deauth inactive users parameter" will also send a deauth to those clients, as well.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Highlighted

I have turned of Inactivity parameter on for inactive clients, now it shows 0 users on AP. but in that case, if they are updating something on background, I hope it would consider an activity.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: