Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant (4.0) > external Captive Portal: HTML/"Protocol"

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Instant (4.0) > external Captive Portal: HTML/"Protocol"

Posted Mar 13, 2014 04:18 AM

Hi,

my Instant 4.0 allows two types of external Captive Portals. For both I couldn't find good documentation and/or minimalistic examples.

a) Radius

b) Textbased

Regarding a)

I have seen examples here for Non-Instant. The magic seems to be the TARGET where the form is send to.

Besides the TARGET there must be a definition what exact fields can/must be submitted to the target.

Regarding b)

I can configure the positive Text send back to the controller. Default is "Authenticated".

But: How exactly has the the result to be formatted? Header/no Header, Document-Type, Only the string or minimal HTML?

And: Does the external Webpage receive any information with the request which might be neccessary to add to the answer?

Thanks in advance

Thomas

The documentation is not bad, but as in many cases it is not oriented on goals you want to achieve but on the structure of the masks in the UI.

• 2.  RE: Instant (4.0) > external Captive Portal: HTML/"Protocol"

Posted Mar 13, 2014 04:20 AM

I just found a similar thread - so I will first consume this one with the links in it:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Aruba-Instant-Cloud-Wi-Fi/IAP-External-Captive-Portal/td-p/146910

I come back if I did not find my answer....

Thanks

Thomas

• 3.  RE: Instant (4.0) > external Captive Portal: HTML/"Protocol"

Posted Mar 13, 2014 05:18 AM

Hi.

just though ill share with you the code for a basic HTML form for which will work with instand using Radius authentication for the captive portal:

<form method="get" action="http://securelogin.arubanetworks.com/cgi-bin/login" id="logon_form">
       <input type="text" name="user" />
       <input type="password" name="password" />
       <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="authenticate" />
       <input type="submit" />
    </form>

• 4.  RE: Instant (4.0) > external Captive Portal: HTML/"Protocol"

Posted Mar 13, 2014 05:51 AM

Thanks, Nesvik!

Great!! That helps.

Do you have a similar barebone version for the Text version, too?

(I wonder if this is documented somewhere in the Aruba documentation? I would also love to read a little bit of explanation how it works behind the curtain - it is not fully clear to me where the controller intercepts traffic (HTTP and or DNS) and so on. Sometimes I feel better understanding the full flow instead of getting things to work by some copy&paste. It may help with debugging issues, understanding which FW rules could be a problem, if https works or not and so on

In the other threads I have read some guessing too - I have seen no "hard" information linked. Some good examples in French.)