Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant Firewall Groups or Netdestination

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Instant Firewall Groups or Netdestination

Posted Feb 23, 2016 06:17 PM

Is it possible to configure firewall groups or netdestination within Aruba Instant? I never would have imagined this would be missing from Instant, but I'm not finding it anywhere. Running 6.4.3.4.

• 2.  RE: Instant Firewall Groups or Netdestination

Posted Feb 23, 2016 06:19 PM
    Unfortunately not available

Sent from Outlook for iPhone

• 3.  RE: Instant Firewall Groups or Netdestination

Posted Feb 23, 2016 06:28 PM

Thank you, Victor for the quick reply. That was what I was afraid of. I've asked so many different Aruba resources for a document that outlines, in detail, all of the differences between Aruba Instant & Controller-based. This is exactly the kind of detail that I need to know. if anyone is aware of such a document, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Instant Firewall Groups or Netdestination

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 23, 2016 06:55 PM

Hi Clayman, 

At this point we don't have a document that lists all the differences. But I'm sure this one will help you to some extent. 

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/IAP-CLI-Quick-Start-guide/ta-p/253452

Thanks, 

Rajaguru Vincent 

• 5.  RE: Instant Firewall Groups or Netdestination

Posted Feb 29, 2016 02:54 PM

Thanks. That is helpful but not quite what I need. I fee like Aruba is doing it's customer's and partners a disservice by not being more transparent about the features and limitations of Instant.

• 6.  RE: Instant Firewall Groups or Netdestination

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 29, 2016 03:41 PM

@Clayman wrote:

Thanks. That is helpful but not quite what I need. I fee like Aruba is doing it's customer's and partners a disservice by not being more transparent about the features and limitations of Instant.

Clayman,

How do you come to that conclusion?  The online documentation for Instant is here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_42_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm?_ga=1.43038629.1615771646.1440445030 and there are people who answer questions on this forum 24/7 about Instant and we released a Validated Reference Guide for Instant here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Aruba-Instant-Validated-Reference-Design/ta-p/258782.  How is Aruba not being transparent about what features are in Instant?

• 7.  RE: Instant Firewall Groups or Netdestination

Posted Mar 02, 2016 11:03 AM

cjoseph wrote:

Clayman,

How do you come to that conclusion?  The online documentation for Instant is here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_42_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm?_ga=1.43038629.1615771646.1440445030 and there are people who answer questions on this forum 24/7 about Instant and we released a Validated Reference Guide for Instant here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Aruba-Instant-Validated-Reference-Design/ta-p/258782.  How is Aruba not being transparent about what features are in Instant?

Colin, my point is that from my experience Instant is marketed as a an alternative to controller-based wireless that is both extremely easy to deploy and other than the cluster limitation, is on par with a controller. Most of that is true, but its not the whole picture. The whole picture is that Instant is a powerful product but lacks some potentially important functionality that the controller provides. I think that Aruba should be more forthcoming about what those limitations are so that it's easier to make the decision between Controller vs Instant.

I shouldn't have to login to the forum & post questions about, "Does Instant do X and does Instant do Y?" Likewise, am I expected to pull up the design guide for AOS and Instant and then compare the two line by line for differences? To be clear, I think Instant is an awesome product. I just think it should be clear that Instant does lack functionality of the controller and those differences should be clearly explained.

• 8.  RE: Instant Firewall Groups or Netdestination

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 02, 2016 11:11 AM
    Clayman,

Most that discussion should happen with your Aruba partner to design the
    appropriate topology and scale for the business case.

• 9.  RE: Instant Firewall Groups or Netdestination

Posted Mar 02, 2016 11:36 AM

Hi Clayman

Because firewall groups and netdestinations are not mentioned in the CLI guide or the user guide of instant, it means they are not supported as of today.  However I agree with the others that your choice of one vs. the other should be more based on business case and not fine-grained feature-level differences.  Traditionally, if there is general agreement that instant is a fit for a particular business case except for one particular, fine-grained feature, we would generally accept that as a feature request and work out a roadmap for it.

Thanks,

Yan