Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant Login

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Instant Login

Posted Feb 03, 2014 05:21 AM

I Have just rebooted all my access points, I now can't login in to the instant web UI is says login failure.

I am using the same username and password that I used to login to reboot the AP's. 

I have tried the default username and password!

All my SSID still exist so the config hasn't been wiped?!?

Any help would be appreciated. 

• 2.  RE: Instant Login

Posted Feb 03, 2014 07:14 AM

If you've exhausted all opportunities at remembering the password, you can reset it using a similar process to the controllers.

Console to the Master AP.

username = admin

password = forgetme!

To see the password:

encrypt disable

show mgmt-user

To reset the password:

configuration terminal

mgmt-user admin <password>

exit

write memory

• 3.  RE: Instant Login

Posted Feb 04, 2014 01:46 AM

I have tried the same command but still it showing the passwords in encrypted form

(IMH-MC3600) #show mgmt-user

Management User Table
    ---------------------
    USER             PASSWD                                               ROLE        STATUS
    ----             ------                                               ----        ------
    test  df48654a011cd8d92e5a8fe1b48a79c3ae50c74076f9853dec   read-only   ACTIVE
    admin            b63274d601ab5c352b2f1792805c0183a048a94524e0745aa3   root        ACTIVE

• 4.  RE: Instant Login

Posted Feb 04, 2014 02:37 AM

By the wat  I tested it on controller not IAP. Please advice if its different from controller.

• 5.  RE: Instant Login

Posted Feb 04, 2014 04:11 AM

For the controller, it is the same method as mentioned. 

Useranme password

Password: forgetme!

go to configure terminal and use mgmt-user admin root. Then follow by the passwords twice.

• 6.  RE: Instant Login

Posted Feb 04, 2014 04:23 AM
    I have tried on controller to view the password but it shows the password in encrypted form. I have also applied encryption disable command. See the out of post command i have pasted in my earlier post.

• 7.  RE: Instant Login

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 04, 2014 04:41 AM

You are not able to observe administrator passwords.

• 8.  RE: Instant Login

Posted Feb 04, 2014 05:02 AM
    Thank CJ. It is for both Instant and Controller?

• 9.  RE: Instant Login

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 04, 2014 05:08 AM

Yes.  That is a big security no-no

• 10.  RE: Instant Login

Posted Feb 04, 2014 05:15 AM
    yes got it. That is what I was thinking from security prospective.
    Thanks for updating

• 11.  RE: Instant Login

Posted Feb 04, 2014 07:38 AM

The command to view the password only works on Instant, not the controller.   I agree with Colin however, this is a no-no and probably should be addressed on Instant.

• 12.  RE: Instant Login

Posted Feb 06, 2014 01:51 AM
    Thanks Clembo for the clarification. Plase do advice whether "encrypt enable" command applicable of IAP?

• 13.  RE: Instant Login

Posted Feb 04, 2014 04:17 AM

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I didn't need to do anything in the end as about 3 hours after the reboot, the 11A/N and 11B/G/N lights on the APs went red  and then 30 mins later went back to green. I could then login to the web UI again using the correct password.

Cheers

• 14.  RE: Instant Login

Posted Feb 06, 2014 02:25 AM

@mvtown wrote:

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I didn't need to do anything in the end as about 3 hours after the reboot, the 11A/N and 11B/G/N lights on the APs went red  and then 30 mins later went back to green. I could then login to the web UI again using the correct password.

Cheers

Your IAPs probably booted up in mesh mode.  This can happen due to no ethernet link or the inability to get an IP address/DHCP issues.  When it's in mesh mode, you cannot login to the AP.  It doesn't tell you why it fails, but it just fails.  I guess this is for security reasons (?) but makes it difficult to do any troubleshooting since you can't login to run commands, tech-support, etc.