Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant, MacBook Pro & multicast or AirGroup problem with computer name

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Instant, MacBook Pro & multicast or AirGroup problem with computer name

Posted Jul 05, 2016 07:52 AM

I just installed a small new Instant network and now we're seeing computer name change notifications popping up on Mac laptops. "The name of your computer [NAME) is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to [NAME] (1)". The number keeps incrementing everytime there is a network disruption, like after sleep or connecting a network cable.

I have broadcast filtering set to ARP.

In AirGroup I have enabled: Enable Bonjour, airplay, airprint, itunes, remotemgmt, sharing

Does broadcast filtering or AirGroup cause this or is it a combination of both? I haven't seen this on earlier installations, but often the Mac laptops use Wi-Fi only. I'm running 6.4.2.6_4.1.3.1 (IAP-205) firmware.

• 2.  RE: Instant, MacBook Pro & multicast or AirGroup problem with computer name

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 05, 2016 07:59 AM

If you do a search for those terms, there are a number of things that could cause that issue from the mac osx side.  Have you ruled all of those things out?  The only thing recommended to fix this on the infrastructure side is to reboot the IAP.

• 3.  RE: Instant, MacBook Pro & multicast or AirGroup problem with computer name

Posted Jul 05, 2016 08:31 AM

It happens on different OS X versions (10.10.5 and 10.11.5) on different hardware and only started after we replaced old home-grade AP's with new IAP's. So it doesn't seem like a Mac problem (no 'discoveryd' on these versions anymore)

I disabled intrusion prevention and broadcast filtering and on AirGroup enabled 'allowall'. We'll see if those help. I couldn't find anything relevant on Airheads Community.

• 4.  RE: Instant, MacBook Pro & multicast or AirGroup problem with computer name
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 05, 2016 09:04 AM

You can try unchecking Enable Bonjour and Enable DLNA under Airgroup services to see if it makes a difference..

• 5.  RE: Instant, MacBook Pro & multicast or AirGroup problem with computer name

Posted Jul 07, 2016 06:01 AM

I unchecked "Enable Bonjour", we'll see if that stops it.

• 6.  RE: Instant, MacBook Pro & multicast or AirGroup problem with computer name

Posted Jul 11, 2016 07:49 AM

Unchecking "Enable Bonjour" indeed seem to have stopped the notification from popping up. Why would enabling it cause this? I haven't seen this on earlier firmware versions.

• 7.  RE: Instant, MacBook Pro & multicast or AirGroup problem with computer name

Posted Feb 23, 2017 06:00 AM

Getting back to this old topic. I updated the IAP's to the latest version that was available from the AP UI, reset to factory defaults and did the whole configuration from scratch.

Same issue, if "Enable Bonjour" is checked, users that have a Mac laptop connected to both wired and wireless network will get this popup several times a day. There seems to be some sort of loop, where the computer will get a broadcast from the AP that there is a computer on the network which has the same name, which infact is the same computer.

How would I start debugging this? What should I be looking at from AP logs? Or is this a design issue when both wired and wireless networks are on the same subnet?