Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

L2 GRE tunnel from VC of Instant cluster to controller - problem

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  L2 GRE tunnel from VC of Instant cluster to controller - problem

Posted May 16, 2018 07:08 AM

Hi

I try to configure GRE tunnel for guest traffic from instant cluster to a controller located in central location.

There is a plan to deploy a lot of instant clutser in different geographic location and to tunnel only guest traffic to central controller/controllers.

I would like to deploy only one tunnel from each instant cluster to central controller not a tunnel for each IAP, because there would be a thousands of IAP. 

I have confugred IAPs and controller according to documents I have found on community:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Tutorial-Guest-only-solution-using-IAP-GRE-tunnel-with/td-p/147880

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/Manual-GRE-between-IAP-amp-controller-to-use-L2-centralzed-scope/ta-p/291890

I have configured solution with DHCP scope L2 centralized and with manual GRE tunnel and option Per-AP tunnel disabled (so to pass trafic only via master virtual-controller) .

It works but only when Wifi client connects to master VC, when client assiciates with other APs, then client cannot get IP address from DHCP (defined on central controler).

So my question is

1) Is it possible to have only one GRE tunnel for each Instant cluster ?

2) If yes what should I do to pass traffic via Master VC ? In above docs theres no information about that (or I'm missing something)

Any other help and advices would be very appraciated.

Best reagrds 

Karol

• 2.  RE: L2 GRE tunnel from VC of Instant cluster to controller - problem
    Best Answer

Posted May 16, 2018 09:58 PM

Hi Karol,

Is the client vlan trunked to all the IAP's?

DHCP packet from client connected ot slave IAP will be forwarded via uplink port of slave IAP & will eventually reach the master IAP which will then send it inside the tunnel.

Please ensure that slave IAP is on trunk port which is tagged with client vlan as well.

You can test this on a single slave IAP & validate the behavior.

• 3.  RE: L2 GRE tunnel from VC of Instant cluster to controller - problem

Posted May 17, 2018 02:53 AM

Hi

Thank you very much for your answer

In meantime I have added guest vlan tag to switch ports where IAP are connected and it has finally started to work :)

Now yet I have some problems with displaying portal on controller.

Do you know how should i set dns and certificate ? 

Dns should point to guest vlan on controller ? Now I have public dns for guest clients.

Thanks a lot

regards

Karol

• 4.  RE: L2 GRE tunnel from VC of Instant cluster to controller - problem