Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Local, L2 DHCP scope

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Local, L2 DHCP scope

Posted May 22, 2019 03:22 AM

Hi,

We have recenlty installed some APs and we have configured a DHCP scope for the guest network. What I want to know is the type of the scope! If I choose the local type, only VC will release IP addresses to the clients, the other APs wont do this (I want to mention that we have no chance of configuring the uplink switches to let the traffic flow from other vlans, we have those dummy switches). In local mode I have to do then NAT on the guest SSID under the Access rules. As I said it works only if the clients connect to the guest via the Virtual Controller AP. So far so good knowing that we have limitations on the wired access enviroment. 

I want to move on Local, L2 and see if this will solve my problem regarding the leasing of IP addresses not only from the VC, but also from the other APs. Do you guys think that this type will be successful in my case and should I NAT the traffic or shouldn't I?

Thank in advance

• 2.  RE: Local, L2 DHCP scope

Posted May 22, 2019 09:30 AM

Hmm after testing Local L2 DHCP type seems that this will not be much of the help either. So regardless of the DHCP type you use, the vlan which is specified on the dhcp scope should be present on the switches!

Can someone please verify this to me?! Because as I said on the first post, we have no chance of configuring the switches between the AP to tag the trafic.

Is there any possible way to do this, without having to configure the switches?

• 3.  RE: Local, L2 DHCP scope

Posted May 23, 2019 04:11 AM

If you want to seperate the clients from the IAP network you have to create a new VLAN. Otherwise the clients are source NATed behind the IAP IP address. 

• 4.  RE: Local, L2 DHCP scope

Posted May 23, 2019 04:16 AM

Hi,

Thank for the response! The guest vlan is on another vlan of course, it is separeted from the other SSID. The problem here is that only the VC is able to lease out IP addresses and the other AP are not. There is no chance for us to configure the uplink switches to forward dhcp queries from AP to the Virtual Controller. I am looking for another method that does not include the switch configuration. Just to mention it, in this environment there is only one Instant cluster and DHCP is located on the virtual controller. 

• 5.  RE: Local, L2 DHCP scope

Posted May 23, 2019 04:31 AM

In that case use the local DHCP scope and set the VLAN to Virtual Controller managed. 

The VC will act as the DHCP server and the traffic is source natted behind the IAP IP.

• 6.  RE: Local, L2 DHCP scope

Posted May 23, 2019 04:37 AM

I have already said it that we have done this and it works only for the clients who are connected on the AP that acts as the virtual controller. We want the other AP to be able to lease out IP addresses, not only the virtual controller. I have other costumers that this thing works, but it works because we could configure the vlans on the switches also. But this time this is not possible!

• 7.  RE: Local, L2 DHCP scope
    Best Answer

Posted May 24, 2019 03:11 AM

We have solved this problem. The reason why the other AP wasn't giving out IP addresses was that the VLAN created on the DHCP scope was not configured on the uplink switches (as mentioned before because of the limitation on that) so we changed the VLAN assignment from Custom to Default and on the access rules for the network we added allow any to all destination (dont forget before this rules you should probably add deny to the internal networks). Then on the system under DHCP setting we added the dns server (we are using google dns). After testing the client did an get IP address and everything was working fine. 

• 8.  RE: Local, L2 DHCP scope

Posted Oct 07, 2022 02:58 PM
    Good morning,

Could you provide more information on configuring the APs? I have a cluster of antennas and I would like to be able to manage the WIFI Guests, but unfortunately I don't have Managed Switches available.

How did you set up the VC to make all antennas supply IP addresses? How has the DHCP Server been configured on the antennas (Local, Local, L2)?

Thank you in advance.

Roberto

• 9.  RE: Local, L2 DHCP scope

Posted Sep 04, 2020 12:47 PM

Hello...On the off chance that you arrange a static IP address on your customer associated with the IAP, can you effectively ping the regulators' interface on VLAN 400?

What Instant adaptation would you say you are running?

What uplink type do you have on your IAP?

flex circuit design for manufacturability guide