Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Lost access to VC scenario

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Lost access to VC scenario

Posted Jan 23, 2013 10:17 AM

Hi,

What would my options be if something happen to my Instant network whereby I couldn't connect to my Virtual controller.

Is there a way to SSH to a slave AP and force it to be come the master for example.   Right now, I can only see the option to shut all AP's down, reset one of them to factory default then boot it up and restore the config

Any more elegant ways than this ?

Thanks

Lee

• 2.  RE: Lost access to VC scenario

Posted Jan 23, 2013 10:41 AM

In an IAP group there is one VC.  any other "member" can take over the task of the VC.  This is not a configurable item...it is automatic.  It is, however, based on uptime so whomever was up the longest will become the next VC. 

If you assigned a static VC IP address that address is taken over by the new VC.   You can also connect by simply pointing your web browser to instant.arubanetworks.com and you will automagically be redirected to the current VC.

• 3.  RE: Lost access to VC scenario

Posted Jan 23, 2013 11:48 AM

Ok, so what about a scenario where I make a change to the VC, such as changing the authetication server of something like that, and I make a mistake and am unable to log back in to the VC ?  

How would I get back in to correct the change without bringing the whole network down ?

Thanks

Lee

• 4.  RE: Lost access to VC scenario

Posted Jan 23, 2013 05:50 PM

The IAP can be configured to fallback to the Internal DB, for IAP management purposes,  if the connection to Radius is lost.  This will protect you from the scenario you described.  Without it....reset to factory default.

This config is independant of WLAN client authentication.....

From the 3.2 Users Guide p.129:

In the Authentication drop-down list, select any one of the following:
    Internal— Select to specify a single set of user credentials. Enter the Username and Password for
    accessing the Virtual Controller Management User Interface.

RADIUS Server— Specify one or two RADIUS servers to authenticate UI. If two servers are configured
    users can use them in primary/backup mode or load-balancing mode, this is identical to the RADIUS
    server configuration for SSIDs. For information on configuring external RADIUS server, see “External
    RADIUS Server” on page 120.

RADIUS server w/ fallback to internal— Specify the RADIUS servers as well as a Username and
    Password. If there is no response from the RADIUS server (RADIUS server timeout), the authentication
    switches to Internal.