Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Low TX Rate with 205

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Low TX Rate with 205

Posted Mar 20, 2019 10:51 AM

Is there a known issue with IAP-205/205H access points and newer software versions?

I've now twice ran into an issue where the clients are stuck in low tx rates and the performance is very poor even close to the AP. Rebooting the problem access point fixes the issue and tx rates return to normal. The issue has come up on the same network but on different 205 access points.

Also in another environment there was a similar issue with 205H.

• 2.  RE: Low TX Rate with 205

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2019 11:13 AM

No known issues with firmware. We would need more information about your environment to help further.

What firmware version are you currently running? How are you testing to validate "low TX rate"? Is this the downlink transmit rate from the AP205 to the client, or uplink transmit from the client to the AP? What is considered low, and how is the transmit rate being measured? How is the AP/cluster (assuming operating in Instant mode and not controller based) configured?

• 3.  RE: Low TX Rate with 205

Posted Mar 20, 2019 11:26 AM

Until now thorough investigation hasn't been done yet. I received a complaint from users that the network is slow and checked the tx rate from MacBook Pro client's wifi icon. It showed around ~100 Mbps even very close to the AP but the actual speed felt even slower because the network was almost unusable.

The problem remained after rebooting the computer so it pointed more to the network side. I rebooted the IAP and the problem went away so I considered it a one time fluke. Now the same problem appeared on another IAP so there could be something else going on. A while ago the same Instant cluster had two new 305 IAP's added and the software updated.

The setup is very basic and there are only 4 IAP's in the Instant cluster. It's been running fine for a couple of years before adding the 305's.

What would be some good commands to run at the virtual controller to investigate if it happens again? Current firmware is 6.5.4.10.

• 4.  RE: Low TX Rate with 205

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2019 10:51 AM

Depending on what version you started with, there was a new calculation requirement for how EIRP is determined (per new FCC requirement accomodations), that could result (in a 203/205 scenario) result in a 3dB drop from older code to newer code. the 'fix' to accomodate the changes would be to raise the ARM max and min EIRP up by 3dB for those APs. But that would depend on the version you started at before.

• 5.  RE: Low TX Rate with 205

Posted Mar 22, 2019 08:51 AM

@jhoward wrote:

Depending on what version you started with, there was a new calculation requirement for how EIRP is determined (per new FCC requirement accomodations), that could result (in a 203/205 scenario) result in a 3dB drop from older code to newer code. the 'fix' to accomodate the changes would be to raise the ARM max and min EIRP up by 3dB for those APs. But that would depend on the version you started at before.

Thanks. Although that wouldn't explain why the IAP reboot fixes the problem. Other thing I was thinking that perhaps there was some interference on that channel and the reboot caused the IAP to switch to a different channel. I'll try to gather more clues if it happens again. The two times up to now have been several weeks apart.