Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Major wireless client slowdown, IAP-305 help needed

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Major wireless client slowdown, IAP-305 help needed

Posted Jul 12, 2019 09:39 AM

Hi everyone, I'm hoping that some of the experts on this forum could help me sort out what to do with my Wireless Network here at work.  Over the past two weeks, we've suddenly had reports of the wireless network being so slow that basic file open/save operations were failing, web access was "dial-up" speed, etc.  We are a small company with around 65 employees spread across 2 buildings in our business park.  Surrounding us is a large grouping of Condos and apartments, followed by about 12 other small businesses spread out in 6 other nearby buildings (in some cases sharing the same parking lot as us).  Needless to say, the wireless spectrum is extremely congested.  I've done what I can with searching for optimal config settings and experimenting with them here to see if the issue improves at all.  It seems like it has gotten *slightly* better, but our brand new out of the box Wireless AC laptops are only connecting at around 144 to 170 Mbps.  I'm attaching the Aruba Instant Virtual Controller config file, along with some screen shots from the interface and a map of our area to show you just how dense we are.  I'd really appreciate any tips / tricks / suggestions as to how to improve connection speed or to optimize our settings for this environment.  We have 7 Access Points total spread across 2 buildings.  3 in one, 4 in the other.  Both buildings are connected via dedicated fiber trenched under the parking lot.  In the map image, they are B1 and B2 highlighted in yellow.  The neighboring business buildings are orange squares and the residential areas are shaded red (everyone and their brother has a router running).  Let me know if I can provide any more info that would help with troubleshooting.  If worse comes to worse, I suppose I'll try to do a full factory reset on these this weekend - I'd really prefer to not have to do that though.  Thanks!

Attachment(s)

txt
    IAP305-Backup.txt   5 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Major wireless client slowdown, IAP-305 help needed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2019 10:43 AM

Are your clients on the 5ghz  band also having problems?

• 3.  RE: Major wireless client slowdown, IAP-305 help needed

Posted Jul 12, 2019 10:59 AM

My laptop is connecting on the 5GHz band right now and the speed is usable.

The wireless adapter in my laptop is an Intel Wireless AC 9260.  I also thought the IAP-305 series APs were also AC compatible. 

Windows 10 is reporting that my wireless link speed is 173Mbps, which seems slow for AC or am I misunderstanding something?

• 4.  RE: Major wireless client slowdown, IAP-305 help needed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2019 11:01 AM

The link speed is what your client negotiated.  That could be a combination of interference or just congestion on the band, but it does not wholly dictate future throughput.  173 is pretty good.  Can you PM me the output of "show aps"?

• 5.  RE: Major wireless client slowdown, IAP-305 help needed

Posted Jul 12, 2019 02:06 PM

Thanks.  I just PM'ed you the output of that command.  Do you know if there is a newer firmware build for the IAP-305?  I'm currently running 8.3.0.0-8.3.0 and wasn't sure if that's part of the issue.  Would rolling back to an older build on the Conservative Channel be better?

• 6.  RE: Major wireless client slowdown, IAP-305 help needed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2019 02:21 PM

You can type "show log system" to see if there are any messages that would indicate that this is a system issue.

What is your regulatory domain?  Your output is also edited so I don't know if you are running 20mhz channels or not.

• 7.  RE: Major wireless client slowdown, IAP-305 help needed

Posted Jul 12, 2019 02:52 PM

Here's the show logs output, along with a better formatted show aps output.

Reg domain should be USA.

Thanks!!

Attachment(s)

txt
    showaps.txt   3 KB 1 version
    txt
    showlogsystem.txt   7 KB 1 version

• 8.  RE: Major wireless client slowdown, IAP-305 help needed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2019 03:27 PM

I don't see any obvious problems system-wise that a software upgrade would fix..

Are you sure that your 802.11ac clients can support DFS channels?  52 and up?  What types of clients are you having performance problems?

I would also lower the ARM maximum TX power on the 2.4ghz band to 15 or 12.  5ghz does not transmit as far as 2.4ghz at the same power and it is possible that clients  are roaming from a 5ghz radio to a 2.4ghz radio and that might explain the performance issues.

Those are just guesses based on the limited information that I am seeing, by the way.