Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Manually name clients

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Manually name clients

Posted May 06, 2013 09:18 AM

Hello,

I just purchased two IAP-105's for demo purposes and so far I'm just kind of feeling my way around. I'm wondering if there is a way to manually name clients that are connected to the AP? Perhaps associate a MAC with a meaninful name? I'm not seeing any way to do that.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Manually name clients

Posted May 06, 2013 10:09 AM

not possible

• 3.  RE: Manually name clients
    Best Answer

Posted May 06, 2013 10:13 AM

Editing my post, this is not possible at the moment.

• 4.  RE: Manually name clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2013 10:19 AM

@pboak81 wrote:

Hello,

I just purchased two IAP-105's for demo purposes and so far I'm just kind of feeling my way around. I'm wondering if there is a way to manually name clients that are connected to the AP? Perhaps associate a MAC with a meaninful name? I'm not seeing any way to do that.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, there is no way to name CLIENTS in instant.

• 5.  RE: Manually name clients

Posted Oct 07, 2014 02:11 PM

@cjoseph wrote:

Unfortunately, there is no way to name CLIENTS in instant.

Hi - just checking - finally got my RAP155 up and running in my house and am slowly but surely adding to my IoT - and would love to name the devices myself (LR Sonos, DR Sonos, Nest, etc.)

Have there been any updates or additions that would make this possible?  Looks like I'm currently running 6.2.1.0-3.3.0.3_39227

Thanks

• 6.  RE: Manually name clients

Posted Oct 08, 2014 09:45 AM

I believe if you name your clients correctly at the device level and upgrade to the latest firmware, you will see their names in the client list.

This is the output of an IAP-103 running 4.1.0.1 running on an open SSID.

Capture.JPG

• 7.  RE: Manually name clients

Posted Oct 23, 2014 07:11 PM

Good day Pasquale! I have a quick question. I have a client running the latest firmware 6.3.1.8 - 4.0.0.7 and the IAP client list names are only showing "---" since it's initial install. I checked the Instant Aruba manuals and found nothing there which seems to tell me that it should happen automatically. Is there something that I need to check on the client's network since all clients connecting to the IAPs have their own device names but not showing up in Aruba? Thanks and have a great day. Cheers.

Best regards,

John

• 8.  RE: Manually name clients

Posted Oct 23, 2014 10:52 PM

@john.osorio wrote:

Good day Pasquale! I have a quick question. I have a client running the latest firmware 6.3.1.8 - 4.0.0.7 and the IAP client list names are only showing "---" since it's initial install. I checked the Instant Aruba manuals and found nothing there which seems to tell me that it should happen automatically. Is there something that I need to check on the client's network since all clients connecting to the IAPs have their own device names but not showing up in Aruba? Thanks and have a great day. Cheers.

Best regards,

John

Hi John,

It depends, if they are connecting to a protected SSID, such as WPA2, Instant will not see the names.

My post above is an example of a customer of mine which works. It picked up the client name configured on the device (OPEN SSID).

It was also running a newer firmware version than what you are running.

If you have access to the support site, I suggest you upgrade to 4.1.1.0 and see if things change, again only on an Open SSID

• 9.  RE: Manually name clients

Posted Oct 23, 2014 11:13 PM

Thanks Pasquale I'll give it a test cheers :)

• 10.  RE: Manually name clients

Posted May 06, 2013 11:27 AM

Ok thanks for the response.

• 11.  RE: Manually name clients

Posted Mar 19, 2015 02:27 AM

Hello,

Some other vendors are able to display the client system name on protected SSIDs.  It is not a big deal to most network engineers, but C-level and D-level guys that control company checkbooks like to see the names.  Is Aruba working on adding this feature to protected SSIDs?

• 12.  RE: Manually name clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 19, 2015 02:32 AM

Jeff Behrns,

On what screen that c-level and d-level people would be interacting with, that you are referring to?  On a secure SSID with 802.1x the username of the person who logged into the machine is displayed.  How do you have it configured now?

EDIT: On the commandline, if airgroup is enabled and you type "show user-table verbose", there is a column for "hostname" that will display the name of the host.

• 13.  RE: Manually name clients

Posted Mar 19, 2015 03:23 AM

The screens would be:

-Instant VC GUI (screenshot below)

-Airwave client details (screenshot below)

Screen1.PNG

Screen2.png

• 14.  RE: Manually name clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 19, 2015 11:20 AM

Jeff,

If you do not see the "hostname" displayed on the IAP, please see the article here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/Why-quot-Name-quot-value-isn-t-displayed-for-some-clients-in/ta-p/192603

For Airwave, it would depend on (1) DNS being configured on Airwave and (2) Device Lookup being configured under Amp Setup> General.  This relys on your DHCP servers registering devices using dynamic DNS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS) and Airwave doing a reverse lookup in DNS for the name.

airwave-lookup.png

In the Airwave Client List, you need to create a view that has the LAN hostnames parameter added:

lan-hostnames.png

I hope this helps.

• 15.  RE: Manually name clients

Posted Mar 23, 2015 09:43 AM

Hello Colin, I believe there are ways to obtain the client system name without use of dynamic DNS.  I am happy to set up a web conference with you and / or my account manager to further discuss what I am looking for.

• 16.  RE: Manually name clients

Posted Mar 24, 2015 02:40 AM

Hello Colin,

I found what I was looking for in the IAP CLI (below).  This appears to display the DHCP option 12 host name that clients send in requests.  I would like to see Aruba place this info in a prominent location in the IAP GUI and in Airwave.  Doing so would make the products much more eye pleasing for a lot of people.

24:de:c6:c2:d4:ec# show dhcp-allocation

<CUT>

---------------------/tmp/dnsmasq.leases------------------
    1427217875 a0:ed:cd:6c:fe:1d 172.31.99.68 3333 JeffiPhone5 01:a0:ed:cd:6c:fe:1d

• 17.  RE: Manually name clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 24, 2015 06:55 AM

@Jeff Behrns wrote:

Hello Colin,

I found what I was looking for in the IAP CLI (below).  This appears to display the DHCP option 12 host name that clients send in requests.  I would like to see Aruba place this info in a prominent location in the IAP GUI and in Airwave.  Doing so would make the products much more eye pleasing for a lot of people.

24:de:c6:c2:d4:ec# show dhcp-allocation

<CUT>

---------------------/tmp/dnsmasq.leases------------------
    1427217875 a0:ed:cd:6c:fe:1d 172.31.99.68 3333 JeffiPhone5 01:a0:ed:cd:6c:fe:1d

Jeff, the link I posted to you before here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/Why-quot-Name-quot-value-isn-t-displayed-for-some-clients-in/ta-p/192603 describes under what circumstances the hostname is populated o(or not) in instant.  Please describe how you would want that behavior to be different and under what circumstances.  If your experience does not match what is described there, it could be a bug and we need to open a case.  If you want to have the behavior changed, please login to the support portal and click on the "Access Feature Requests via Idea Portal" button to file a feature request or see if anyone has already filed one so you can upvote it.

If the hostname appears in the name field, airwave should collect and display that.  If it is not displayed in Instant or there is no hostname available, Airwave has the option of trying to find out the hostname via reverse lookup if it is registered in DNS.

• 18.  RE: Manually name clients

Posted Mar 24, 2015 04:12 PM

Ok, I have a scenario where clients are sending option 12 but it is not displayed in Instant.  Perhaps I need to upgrade software, I will follow up on that.  However, the 802.1x username is not always the best "Name" to display for a client.  I have many clients that use the same 802.1x username.  I would rather have two separate columns than a single "Name" column which sometimes displays the 802.1x username and other times displays the DHCP opt 12 host name.