Controllerless Networks

This community is currently in a read-only state due to a maintenance window. For more info click here
Highlighted
New Contributor

Master AP Overhead

I'm wondering how much extra work a AP has to do with being the Master controller for a mesh? Would it be enough to impact performance?

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Re: Master AP Overhead

How many APs in the cluster?  If it is only a few, there is not alot of overhead.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Video Knowledge Base
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Can one conclude that the higher end model should not always be the preferred master in certain situations?

Say you have a 335 and a 305, the 335 serves 50+ clients with many streaming HD content, while the 305 is in a area serving only a few phones. In this situation, is it better to set the 305 as the preferred master to offload VC tasks on the 335?

Highlighted
Guru Elite

You should make the AP335 the preferred master, because it has more CPU to handle being a VC and its regular duties as an AP.  Again, this should only be considered if you have considerably high CPU on your Virtual Controller AP.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Video Knowledge Base
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: