Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Mastering airwave alerts?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Mastering airwave alerts?

Posted Oct 11, 2016 02:54 PM

Hi,

Currently we are managing about 8000 APs over 4 airwave servers (1 master server).  We are trying to perfect our Airwave alerts.  We have configured DOWN alerts to our liking, an ap will have to be down for 10 minutes before alerting.  UP alerts are throwing a lot of false positives.  We are trying a couple things, changing the polling interval from 1 to 2 to see if that will help.  However, this is leading to a lot of emails.  Is there a preffered method of doing so?

I have not been able to find much documentation on this. I have reached out to our Aruba SE to see what they say, I have not yet opened a case with Aruba as I would hope to get some different ideas to work with.  Thank you! 

• 2.  RE: Mastering airwave alerts?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 11, 2016 02:58 PM

What you can do, is only alert on the contents of an AP Up trap from the controller, instead of relying on Airwave's timers.  That way you would get the alert "from the horse's mouth".

• 3.  RE: Mastering airwave alerts?

Posted Oct 11, 2016 03:43 PM

Not sure I understand how you configure that.  So in the instant cluster under monitoring I would enable SNMP information?

We are managing these clusters through Airwave, they are no longer in instant config.  

I might be confused to how you would set that up on the controller.  New to the alerting piece. 

• 4.  RE: Mastering airwave alerts?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 11, 2016 05:20 PM

Okay.  Find the VC (virtual controller) for your instant deployment.  Go all the way down to the section called "Device Events".  Disconnect one AP from the cluster until you see the AP down trap in the Device Events for the VC.  Copy the contents of that Trap to Notepad.

In the controller the AP down trap is like below (probably not like instant; just an example):

wlsxAPNumDown wlsxTrapAPMacAddress.0: 9C:1C:12:C1:05:94, wlsxTrapCount.0:2, wlsxTrapAPLocation.0: Kitchen-225, wlsxTrapAPIpAddress.0:192.168.1.186, wlsxTrapTime: 10/11/2016 14:12:34 UTC-5

So I copied the wlsxAPNumDown and created a trigger like this:

ap-is-down.png

Now, when an AP goes down, this is what my alert looks like:

alert.png

• 5.  RE: Mastering airwave alerts?

Posted Oct 12, 2016 01:06 AM

Hey that's pretty cool! I will give it a try tomorrow.  I think this might be ideal.