Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Meshing or Range extension?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Meshing or Range extension?

Posted Jun 06, 2017 10:31 AM

Problem:  Need to have a switch in a remote area of my office that is not reachable by wiring.  (wireless signal is strong there)

Possible soultuion?

Is it possible for me to put a POE switch in that location and connect an IAP and mesh it into current Wireless Network and thus allow the switch to join the network?

• 2.  RE: Meshing or Range extension?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2017 11:13 AM

The best solution would be the HP 501 802.11ac wireless bridge here:  https://www.amazon.com/J9835A-Wireless-802-11B-Desktop-Wall-Mountable/dp/B00HEK8E3Y

• 3.  RE: Meshing or Range extension?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2017 07:33 PM

Note the 501 supports UP TO 15 wired devices behind it, so if you have more than the switch+14 devices to backhaul, then mesh will be your next logical solution. otherwise if it's a handful of devices, then the 501 is much easier.

• 4.  RE: Meshing or Range extension?

Posted Jun 14, 2017 01:28 PM

I purchased the HP 501, It doesn't do the trick, The devices on the bridge side keep losing dhcp resolution   I guess I need to Mesh. Advise please.

• 5.  RE: Meshing or Range extension?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2017 01:30 PM

What was the 501 associating to (AP model, OS, controller if applicable, etc)? There are some settings that would need to be adjusted on your WLAN to support this if you are putting more than one device behind the 501. 

• 6.  RE: Meshing or Range extension?

Posted Jun 14, 2017 01:33 PM

the device is an iap205 and there is more than one device plugged into the switch (hp1910 jg394A) that the bridge is plugged into.

• 7.  RE: Meshing or Range extension?

Posted Jun 14, 2017 01:27 PM

I purchased the HP 501,  It doesn't do the trick, The devices on the bridge side keep losing dhcp resolution.  I guess I need to Mesh.  Advise please.

• 8.  RE: Meshing or Range extension?

Posted Jun 14, 2017 01:29 PM

Sorry Guys not solved

I purchased the HP 501,  It doesn't do the trick, The devices on the bridge side keep losing dhcp resolution.  I guess I need to Mesh.  Advise please.

• 9.  RE: Meshing or Range extension?

Posted Jun 15, 2017 11:48 AM

Well the 501 network bridge connect to an hp popw switch and the aruba iap 205 doesn't work,  the 5 devices connected to switch keep dropping the connection.  The 501 is not that configurable so are there changes needed on the iap?

Come ono guys, at aruba don't make a suggestion and then drop off.  I even opened a case with hpe support for the bridge and they are no help.

• 10.  RE: Meshing or Range extension?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2017 12:37 PM

Malin, first, this is NOT a direct support board and it shouldn't be thought of as anything more than a volunteer-based community support community. People like myself (Arubans) do not spend our entire day waiting for or looking for responses to follow up on. Well, maybe Colin does. So no one is ignoring you, sometimes we are working in the background on your behalf while doing our regular job (none of us get paid to haunt these boards). Hope that makes sense.

That said, I spent some time yesterday discussing with engineering on how to make this work with IAP. For controller-based solutions, it works fine because we can configure the number of IPs allowed per mac address on the WLAN. Unfortunately IAP does NOT allow this modification to the WLAN stack, so the only application that will work in your case is to use 501 as a wired client bridge for a single device with mac cloning.

If you want to get another IAP-205, that will absolutely support mesh bridging to bridge the network for however many devices you have on the remote IAP. There are numerous pages on setting that up. My apologies for that not working.

• 11.  RE: Meshing or Range extension?

Posted Jun 15, 2017 01:29 PM
    Does it have to be the matching iaps? What is minimum iap ca use

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

• 12.  RE: Meshing or Range extension?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2017 02:29 PM

Any IAP model should mesh together so long as it can run the same firmware version on the 205.