Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Moving IAP's between different instant config networks?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Moving IAP's between different instant config networks?

Posted Mar 05, 2015 05:38 PM

I guys,

I want to move an IAP from an existing Instant Config network to a different network subnet, that has its own Instant Config DHCP scope option.

This is a new floor in our building, so AIRWAVE is not aware yet.

Is there any I should do a to a previously configured Instant config IAP before connecting it to the new network? Or will the new instant config over write the existing instant config on the IAP?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

• 2.  RE: Moving IAP's between different instant config networks?

Posted Mar 07, 2015 12:29 PM
    simply disconnect it and connect it to the new network, since it is on a different subnet and vlan it will get the configuration of the other cluster

• 3.  RE: Moving IAP's between different instant config networks?

Posted Mar 11, 2015 01:22 AM

I have been investigating this more, and it seems the IAP's configuration for their management vlan is retained even after a write erase and a factory reset.

I have three different managment networks operating on different VLANs.

I am going to put this to the test soon, by manaully changing the management vlan setting.

regards,

Andrew

• 4.  RE: Moving IAP's between different instant config networks?

Posted Mar 11, 2015 05:11 AM

Hi,

You can simply move an IAP to a new cluster with or without factory reset. always better to reset before join it to a new cluster. as soon as newly joined IAP receives Master beacon, it will change it self as a slave and pull the configuration from the VC.

One thing you need to keep in your mind is, image update. if the new IAP and existing VC are of the same hardware ( Orion, Pegasus etc..) Image sync will happen automatically but if they are different Image should be updated either through Airwave or manually.

Hope you got your answer,

Please feel free for any further query on this.

• 5.  RE: Moving IAP's between different instant config networks?

Posted Mar 15, 2017 11:15 PM

Hi Andrew,

I have the same problem. Could you share what you ended up doing?

I have a set of about 50 IAPs that have been previously configured, that I need to wipe and reconfigure from scratch.

Instead of manually factory resetting each and every IAP (difficult as they are already mounted), I thought I would do one, configure it as a VC on a new vlan/subnet, and move each other IAP to the new vlan/subnet. Then all the IAPs will have new config. Would that work?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

• 6.  RE: Moving IAP's between different instant config networks?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2017 05:52 AM
    Yes.

• 7.  RE: Moving IAP's between different instant config networks?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2017 06:50 AM

Hi Heisenberg,

Yes, it will work, If you are managing IAPs throwing Airwave then you could push the new configuration from Airwave itself.

If you are managing IAPs throwing template then you could edit that template or if you have any gobal working template just replace it , Airwave will push that configuration.

if you are managing throw Instant GUI mode, you could delete the exisiting config and push new one.

Regards,

Pavan

If my post address your query , give kudos :)