Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Need details for what settings I need when requesting a certificate from our enterprise CA

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Need details for what settings I need when requesting a certificate from our enterprise CA

Posted Jun 02, 2015 06:50 PM

Does anyone have the details for what settings I need when requesting a certificate from our enterprise CA. The Radius setup on the 7010 and Windows Server 2008 are very different than our 200 controller. Any help would be appreciated. Our new setup is an Aruba 7010 with 204 APs.

• 2.  RE: Need details for what settings I need when requesting a certificate from our enterprise CA

Posted Jun 02, 2015 09:29 PM

Are you questioning the certificate requirements for the controller or your RADIUS server?   If the controller, will the certificate be for HTTPS or EAP termination (or both)?

• 3.  RE: Need details for what settings I need when requesting a certificate from our enterprise CA

Posted Jun 02, 2015 09:36 PM

RADIUS

• 4.  RE: Need details for what settings I need when requesting a certificate from our enterprise CA
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 02, 2015 09:47 PM

The certificate requirements for NPS (Server 2008) as a RADIUS server are covered in the following Microsoft TechNet document.      If you have an Enterprise CA (Windows-based), you can usually use the RAS and IAS server template or any other template with the Server Authentication EKU.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731363%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Also, I suggest you do not request this certificate with a wildcard CN.

• 5.  RE: Need details for what settings I need when requesting a certificate from our enterprise CA

Posted Jun 02, 2015 10:03 PM

I dont need certs for all the connecting computers do I?

• 6.  RE: Need details for what settings I need when requesting a certificate from our enterprise CA

Posted Jun 02, 2015 11:45 PM

You only need client certificates if you are using EAP-TLS.  If you use PEAP-MSCHAPv2; it is username/password combination; but the RADIUS server still needs a certificate which the clients can validate/trust.  The TechNet link I included above has a minimum server requirement and minimum client requirement section; if not using client certificates; you can ingnore the minimum client requirements section.

The following summarizes some of the PEAP-MSCHAPv2 requirements.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754179(v=ws.10).aspx

• 7.  RE: Need details for what settings I need when requesting a certificate from our enterprise CA

Posted Jun 03, 2015 12:07 AM

I hope this gets me strightend out.

Thanks