Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

New Wildcard SSL on Instant AP Error

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  New Wildcard SSL on Instant AP Error

Posted Dec 13, 2016 02:11 PM
      |   view attached

Hi,

We have recently purchased a wildcard SSL to replace the generic inbuilt one that has expired.

When trying to upload the certificate file, and this happens no matter what options I choose, I receive the attached error. The text is:

cert_upload_split_certificate_file_failed.txt

I am using the filename.cer that was sent to me by Comodo and I have also tried exporting the certificate but this results in a .PFX file which apparently is not a supported file type.

This is my first time around and managing these devices and whilst I have read a number of posts about how to upload a certificate, I continue to receive the above error.

Thanks,

Jarrod

• 2.  RE: New Wildcard SSL on Instant AP Error

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 13, 2016 02:17 PM

Please try the procedure here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-to-Create-a-Certificate-for-Instant-Captive-Portal-using/ta-p/277025

Skip past the openssl down to the part that begins with "To put it into the proper format"

• 3.  RE: New Wildcard SSL on Instant AP Error

Posted Dec 13, 2016 04:29 PM

Hi Colin,

That allowed me to progress past the error.

Now that I have created the .PEM file, it is 'hanging' at "Uploading instant-server-cert.pem..." I've waited a few minutes, as suggested in the article and refreshed the browser but do not see the certificates and can confirm that I still receive the expired certificate error  when connecting.

Just for clarification, the .PEM file that I am creating has the following:

* Contents of the .CER file that Comodo sent to me

* Contents of the CA bundle downloaded from Namecheap as they create the bundles for the various certificates that they sell

* Privatekey.key - I'm assuming that this is the CSR? If not, where would I find this since the original CSR was created via IIS as opposed to OpenSSL?

According to Namecheap, where we purchased the certificate, it states: If you have your certificate in the PKCS#7 format (appropriate mostly for IIS/Microsoft Exchange), you already have your bundle included into your certificate and do not need to install it separately.

Although I can show that this does not work.

Thanks,

Jarrod

• 4.  RE: New Wildcard SSL on Instant AP Error

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 13, 2016 04:40 PM
    If you generated your CSR in IIS, you'll need to export the PFX file with a
    secure password and then use something like openssl to spit out the private
    key by itself.

• 5.  RE: New Wildcard SSL on Instant AP Error

Posted Dec 13, 2016 08:41 PM

Thanks Tim.

That allowed me to install the certificate but then dropped all access to my AP's. No WiFi access, not physical connection that I could get to work.

It appears that the AP's now redirect me to https://comodo as opposed to connecting to them for anything.

I've pulled them all down and am currently working out how to reconfigure one to be the main AP and allow AD authentication.

Going to be a long night.

• 6.  RE: New Wildcard SSL on Instant AP Error
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 20, 2016 01:51 PM

After a rebuild we found out that wildcard certificates are not supported on firmware under 6.5 and there is no 6.5 build for the IAP-135 that we are using.

• 7.  RE: New Wildcard SSL on Instant AP Error

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2016 01:58 PM
    Can you provide the full release version you're running?

• 8.  RE: New Wildcard SSL on Instant AP Error

Posted Dec 20, 2016 02:03 PM

Hi Tim,

These are the details:

Name:
    Aruba Operating System Software
    Type:
    Build Time:
    2016-05-06 00:33:22 PDT
    Version:
    6.4.2.6-4.1.3.0_54915

I have since purchased and installed a standard SSL.

Thanks,

Jarrod

• 9.  RE: New Wildcard SSL on Instant AP Error

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2016 02:09 PM

Just to confirm, you were trying to use wildcard with an Instant 6.5.x-4.3.x build?

• 10.  RE: New Wildcard SSL on Instant AP Error

Posted Dec 20, 2016 02:32 PM

HI Tim,

No, I was trying to use a wildcard on the version pasted above as there does not appear to be a 6.5.x version for our IAP 135.

When I working with support to understand what caused it, he logged in to download the new version that he advised was the minimum to allow wildcard certificates and the 135 was not listed. I was then told that it was most likely end of life.

Thanks,

Jarrod