Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

New to Aruba IAP, question on Channel in Mesh

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  New to Aruba IAP, question on Channel in Mesh

Posted May 13, 2019 03:36 PM

So I'm new to Aruba IAP (and this forum), and I have eight (8) new 325's deployed in a new 18,000 sqft building. Surprisingly, "instant" marketing was true, once I setup the first access point, the next 7 automatically configured (no controller).   However of the 8 access points, four of them are using 5Ghz channel 124+ (+ = wide), while the other four are all on a unique channel.  Shouldn't each of these access points choose seperate radio frequencies to help prevent radio wave contention?     On the 2.4Ghz band, they of course are limiting themselves to 1, 6 and 11 so I would expect duplicates there, but since the 5Ghz has so many more open channels I would expect each to choose another.   Even 1 access point could almost support this building, and I'm thinking having so many are causing more of a problem than a resolution to connectivity.  Thanks all! 

• 2.  RE: New to Aruba IAP, question on Channel in Mesh

Posted May 13, 2019 04:58 PM

How long has the instant group been up, with all APs online?  It does take a while for it to decide on channel allocations.

Personally I would suggest turning off the wide channels, and sticking to 20MHz width in 5GHz and in 2.4GHz. You have a small enough number of APs that you can probably get away with wide channels, but if you have any interfering APs again you will benefit from 20MHz width.

• 3.  RE: New to Aruba IAP, question on Channel in Mesh

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 13, 2019 05:36 PM

ake sure all channels you want to be available are enabled, and you may have to disable client-aware to let the APs settle. If the APs came up on 124+ and then clients go on immediately, then the APs will remain there until client free. If there's no clients on it, and other channels are enabled, you may want to reach out to TAC to have them look things over. If there is neighboring wifi interfering at a sufficiently strong signal, and the APs that are all on 124+ are sufficiently separated, that may be the ideal channels.