Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

No Controller

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  No Controller

Posted Oct 19, 2014 05:21 PM

I have a dilemma.  I do some consulting work for a school and we currently run several Aruba IAP-105's.  The guy here at the school that helps with problems during the day found a "good deal" on some Aruba AP-105's on ebay.  You can probably see where this is going now, but we do not have a controller for these, and the last thing I want to do is try and sell them back on ebay or something like that, so I want to purchase a controller to run these couple of APs, and possibly throw my IAPs on there so I can manage them from a single point.  I have found some older controllers (200s and 800s) on ebay for cheap, but what are things I should be considering here?  Looks like the limit for the 200 is 8APs and the 800 is 16APs, but is there anything additional that I will have to buy, i.e. licensing, or can I just plug this thing in, configure it and go?

Thanks for your patience, I have to admit I'm not familiar with any of this since I've only used the Instant APs, and I'm sure I've said something stupid in the paragraph above.

• 2.  RE: No Controller
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 19, 2014 05:24 PM
    You would need to buy at minimum AP licenses.

Also, keep in my that those older controllers don't run newer code so you'll likely lose quite a few features.

• 3.  RE: No Controller

Posted Oct 19, 2014 05:32 PM

Any ballpark idea of AP license costs?

• 4.  RE: No Controller

• 5.  RE: No Controller

Posted Oct 19, 2014 05:45 PM

Thanks Tim...I was afraid there would be additional cost, and sorry, I guess I could have searched for an AP license in CDW...thanks for your patience with a newb :)

• 6.  RE: No Controller

Posted Oct 19, 2014 11:32 PM

The legacy 200 and 800 series controllers came with embedded licenses.  You may want to ask the seller for details on the system.   The 200s came as model 200-6 (with 6 AP licenses....this was later automatically updated to 8 APs with no charge to the customer).  The 800 series came in either 4 or 16 AP varieties; 800-4 or 800-16.

So buying one of these would likely land you with AP licenses (exact amount may vary by model or whether additional licenses were included by the seller).    However, you may require additional licensing depending on the features you want; for example PEFNG or RFP.    

Lastly, as Tim mentions, you are tied to version 5.x of ArubaOS on those controllers, so you'll lose new feature/functionality of 6.x and later.