Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

On IAP VC, can you change "called-station-id"

This thread has been viewed 36 times
  • 1.  On IAP VC, can you change "called-station-id"

Posted Dec 06, 2017 04:09 AM

Is it possible to change/configure the "called-station-id" on a VC acting as radius dynamic proxy in newer releases ?

I see, in the IAP release 6.5.4 and when configure from Airwave that there are some options, but I´m not sure that this is what I´m looking for.

At VC config menu, System>General there is options for 

"Branch Name:" 

• None
    • Master AP Mac
    • Virtuall Control Name
    • Manual Input

• 2.  RE: On IAP VC, can you change "called-station-id"

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2017 04:35 AM

The "called-station-ID" is typically the wireless mac address of the AP that the client is associating to, so that cannot be changed.  Would you want to change the FORMAT of the called-station-id?

• 3.  RE: On IAP VC, can you change "called-station-id"

Posted Dec 06, 2017 05:04 AM

To my understanding "called-station-id" is by default, in Aruba IAP, the mac-address of the accesspoint acting as VC. 

The "calling-stations-id" is the mac-address of the supplicant, the enduser client equipment. So that is not what I want to change.

What I want to achive is, to get an info field back that indicates on which site/location/cluster the is authentication has been done, and some indentity that does not change if VC instance change to an other IAP.

• 4.  RE: On IAP VC, can you change "called-station-id"

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2017 05:24 AM

Are you saying that you want to make the called-station-id the name of the cluster?   I am not sure you can do that.  Please see the options here http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-to-configure-called-station-ID-and-Calling-station-ID-in-IAP/ta-p/292705 to see if any of these fit what you want to do.

The nas-ip-address, would be the ip address of the VC that the authentication comes from.  Would you be able to key off of that?

• 5.  RE: On IAP VC, can you change "called-station-id"

Posted Dec 06, 2017 07:25 AM

Hmm, that was intresting  . . .

and could have been a way forward. But as long as I use Airwave for monitoring/configuration an IAP won't let me change any config in CLI. . .

but it refeer to version IAP version 4.2 even if this artical seem to updated this year . . could it be a hope any release after that, maybe ?!

• 6.  RE: On IAP VC, can you change "called-station-id"

Posted Dec 21, 2017 08:56 PM
    Are you using templates on Airwave to push configuration down to your IAP clusters?

If so then these commands would be available to you in a template which would push the cli commands to your AP.

if you are using IGC to perform configuration changes, then this is not possible.

your IAP must be version 4.3.x.x to support these commands so your version of Airwave must be upgraded to a version that supports 4.3.x.x templates as well

• 7.  RE: On IAP VC, can you change "called-station-id"

Posted Dec 28, 2017 03:10 AM

Ok, thanks for your answer.

I´m using the Instant GUI config, så I have found out that this is not possible.

But I have found that the IAP by default send the cluster name in the request when I use Dynamic Radius Proxy settings.

I have also fund, by help from Aruba, that in IAP release 6.5.4 and AMP version 8.2.5 I have the possibillity to configure separate radius servers for authentiaction and for accounting that will solv my issues verry well as it seems, at least in teory.  :-)  to be tested . . .