Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

PAPI_Send: sendto Authentication failed: No such file or directory Message Code 3168

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  PAPI_Send: sendto Authentication failed: No such file or directory Message Code 3168

Posted Oct 12, 2016 02:43 PM

We are trying to troubleshoot some VoIP of wifi problems and noticed this error message in the logs during one of the quality problem events an employee reported. Any idea what the issue is, if there even is one based on these log messages? For reference we have four IAPs. The Virtual Controller is the AP the user was connected to during this call.

Thanks.

Oct 12 13:51:14 10.163.99.252 <10.163.99.252 18:64:72:C1:E7:E0> stm[1774]: PAPI_Send: sendto Authentication failed: No such file or directory Message Code 3168 Sequence Num is 44520
    Oct 12 13:51:14 10.163.99.252 stm[1774]: <304065> <ERRS> <10.163.99.252 18:64:72:C1:E7:E0>  PAPI_Send failed, send_papi_message_with_args, 810: No such file or directory, dstport 8214

• 2.  RE: PAPI_Send: sendto Authentication failed: No such file or directory Message Code 3168

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 12, 2016 04:13 PM

What version of instant?

What is your VOIP client?

What band does it operate on?

What is the transmit power of the IAPs serving that client on that band?

• 3.  RE: PAPI_Send: sendto Authentication failed: No such file or directory Message Code 3168

Posted Oct 17, 2016 10:36 AM

Newest version: 6.4.2.6-4.1.3.0-54915 (was also running an older version with the same problem, so seems to not be version specific issue)

VOIP client is RingCentral Desktop

Band: Set to prefer 5Ghz, but operating on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

Transmit power of the IAPs are min 9, max 24. I did have the max lower, but increased it to 24 for troubleshooting this issue which didn't seem to help. This morning I'm getting reports of people disconnecting when moving around the office instead of it roaming between the IAPs, not sure if related yet or not to this change.

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: PAPI_Send: sendto Authentication failed: No such file or directory Message Code 3168

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2016 11:18 AM

You should upgrade to a 4.2.x.x version that allows you to set different max/min for 2.4ghz and 5ghz separately.  That is so that you can set the 2.4ghz ranges lower and 5ghz ranges higher.  http://support.arubanetworks.com/LifetimeWarrantySoftware/tabid/121/DMXModule/661/EntryId/21998/Default.aspx

Also, you should not have your maximum tx be over 18, because that could cause roaming issues (clients holding on longer than they shoud be).  Also, your range should be smaller, like min 12, max 18, so that there is not such a big difference in coverage between access points.

More ideas here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Removing-the-Bottleneck-in-Wireless/ba-p/77978

• 5.  RE: PAPI_Send: sendto Authentication failed: No such file or directory Message Code 3168

Posted Oct 17, 2016 11:37 AM

This version lets me set different strengths for min/max on 2.4ghz/5ghz on the SSID advanced settings. I will try switching the signal strengths around and see what happens, but when people are having the VOIP issues they are sitting in one spot on one IAP and not roaming.

Also when I have the Aruba check for updates, it says it is on the newest firmware. Do I have to manually upgrade it to 4.2.x.x?

Thanks!

• 6.  RE: PAPI_Send: sendto Authentication failed: No such file or directory Message Code 3168

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2016 11:42 AM

Under SSID> Advanced are the supported rates, NOT the transmit power.  I am talking about the transmit power under RF > ARM, NOT the supported rates, which is something different...

Yes, you would manually have to upgrade to 4.2.x.x because it is early access software.  "Check for updates" only works for GA software.

• 7.  RE: PAPI_Send: sendto Authentication failed: No such file or directory Message Code 3168

Posted Oct 17, 2016 11:43 AM

Ah, OK. Thanks for clarifying. I'll have to schedule a time to do the upgrade since we have users on the wireless network 24/7.

• 8.  RE: PAPI_Send: sendto Authentication failed: No such file or directory Message Code 3168

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2016 11:45 AM

Before upgrading, I would set the minimum power to 12 and the max to 18 or less, and see if that makes a difference.

I would also make sure broadcast filtering is set to ARP under all SSIDs under advanced.

After making those changes, please observe before upgrading.

How many SSIDs do you have?