Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

PoE+ problem: IAP-325 on PoE+ ports are only using 15 watts instead of 30

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  PoE+ problem: IAP-325 on PoE+ ports are only using 15 watts instead of 30

Posted Mar 16, 2017 05:14 PM

I have two new IAP-325 units.
    One is conncted to a Trendnet PoE+ injector (TPE-115GI).
    The other is connected to a Cisco WS-C3560X-48P-S switch.
    Both power sources per thier documentation are full 30w  PoE+ 802.3at compatible.

However, the power light on both access points are solid amber indicating they are running at 15 watt 802.3af power levels.

The Cisco switch has LLDP enabled and does recognize the IAP-325 as a class 4 device.

Here's the ouput of 'show power inline' for the connected interface:
    Interface | Admin | Oper | Power (Watts) | Device | Class | Max
    Gi0/12 | auto | on | 15.4 | Ieee PD | 4 | 30.0

And here's 'show lldp'

CiscoSw#sh lldp

Global LLDP Information:
    LLDP advertisements are sent every 30 seconds
    LLDP hold time advertised is 120 seconds
    LLDP interface reinitialisation delay is 2 seconds

Am I doing anything wrong? Is there any change I need to do on the virtual controller to enable full 30w power for both access points?

Refernce Links:

TPE-115GI Specifications

Cisco 3560-X Series Switches

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: PoE+ problem: IAP-325 on PoE+ ports are only using 15 watts instead of 30

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2017 05:34 PM

Hi,

on the cisco switch, do you have enough power budget to deliver 30W on the port? Have you already used it on other ports? 

on the tpe device, one customer installed similar devices to deliver 11at and they needed to unplug and plug the PoE injectors to be able to deliver up to 30W. It had a led on the injector that needed to be green instead of amber. 

Regards

Borja

• 3.  RE: PoE+ problem: IAP-325 on PoE+ ports are only using 15 watts instead of 30

Posted Mar 16, 2017 06:37 PM

Unplugging / Re-plugging the power adpter of the the power injector appears to have worked!

There is plenty of power on the switch.

I found that I needed to remove the command:
    "no lldp tlv-select power-management" from the switch.

• 4.  RE: PoE+ problem: IAP-325 on PoE+ ports are only using 15 watts instead of 30
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2017 05:47 PM

@DustinB wrote:

I have two new IAP-325 units.
    One is conncted to a Trendnet PoE+ injector (TPE-115GI).
    The other is connected to a Cisco WS-C3560X-48P-S switch.
    Both power sources per thier documentation are full 30w  PoE+ 802.3at compatible.

However, the power light on both access points are solid amber indicating they are running at 15 watt 802.3af power levels.

The Cisco switch has LLDP enabled and does recognize the IAP-325 as a class 4 device.

Here's the ouput of 'show power inline' for the connected interface:
    Interface | Admin | Oper | Power (Watts) | Device | Class | Max
    Gi0/12 | auto | on | 15.4 | Ieee PD | 4 | 30.0

And here's 'show lldp'

CiscoSw#sh lldp

Global LLDP Information:
    LLDP advertisements are sent every 30 seconds
    LLDP hold time advertised is 120 seconds
    LLDP interface reinitialisation delay is 2 seconds

Am I doing anything wrong? Is there any change I need to do on the virtual controller to enable full 30w power for both access points?

Refernce Links:

TPE-115GI Specifications

Cisco 3560-X Series Switches

Thanks in advance!

Grab the tech support from the Instant AP and search for "Power Status".  You should see the below if it is working.  Please keep in Mind the "Operational State" is the current state and the "Current HW State" is what it gets on bootup before LLDP is negotiated...

Power Status
    ------------
    Operational State          POE-AT: No restrictions (Overridden by LLDP)
    -----------------          --------------------------------------------
    Current HW State           POE-AF: One Ethernet port disabled; USB port disabled; 1x3 chain for 2.4GHz; 3x3 chain for 5GHz
    LLDP Negotiated POE Power  20.2W

What version of Instant is this?

• 5.  RE: PoE+ problem: IAP-325 on PoE+ ports are only using 15 watts instead of 30

Posted Mar 16, 2017 06:40 PM

The tech-support output showed:
    "LLDP Negotiated POE Power 0.0W"

This was a clue to check the LLDP settings.  I removed the command "no lldp tlv-select power-management" from the switch config and rebooted the AP.  It now shows full power!

That command was on the switch for troubleshooting of our ShoreTel VoIP phones. It appears that command isn't need anymore.

Thanks for the tips!