Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem with IAP-225 with more than 1 SSID and Android devices

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Problem with IAP-225 with more than 1 SSID and Android devices

Posted Jan 09, 2015 12:01 PM

We have a couple of the Aruba IAP-225's and are fairly happy with them after getting all the firmware updates. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with creating more than 1 SSID and it causing Android devices to no longer authenticate. My goal is to create a Guest SSID that guests can use to access the internet but block access to our servers. But as soon as I create another SSID all of our cell phones loose access to the access points. It doesn’t seem to bother the laptops with Intel Wifi adapters but the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Asus transformers just will not authenticate. The web interface shows they are trying but they never complete. We have a 2nd location across the street that we are using Netgear WAP’s with the same setup and when I get within range of those WAPs it connects just fine. Current firmware version installed is 6.4.2.0-4.1.1.1_46936

Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this.

#AP225

• 2.  RE: Problem with IAP-225 with more than 1 SSID and Android devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 09, 2015 12:09 PM

What is the encryption type of that new ssid?

• 3.  RE: Problem with IAP-225 with more than 1 SSID and Android devices

Posted Jan 09, 2015 02:46 PM

We use WPA-WPA2 PSK with AES encryption.

• 4.  RE: Problem with IAP-225 with more than 1 SSID and Android devices

Posted Jan 23, 2015 08:48 AM

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might cause this?

If any additional information is needed to help diagnose this please let me know.

• 5.  RE: Problem with IAP-225 with more than 1 SSID and Android devices

Posted Jan 23, 2015 08:51 AM
    I have a few networks running 2 SSID's on IAP-225s.

1 Guest (open)
    1 Employee (WPA2-PSK AES).
    No issues running anywhere from 4.0.01 to 4.1.1.1.

No issues on my end.

A TAC case would be your best way to find a resolution.

Have you run any packet captures?

• 6.  RE: Problem with IAP-225 with more than 1 SSID and Android devices
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 23, 2015 11:04 AM

Aruba has informed me they don't support their access points with out paying additional fees. After paying 1200 dollars per access point and then not working as good as the 300 dollar access points they replaced we are not willing to give another dollar to Aruba.

With that said I did find a solution.

After I created the new Guest SSID I had to disable our Main SSID and reboot the access points. After they came back up I re-enabled the Main SSID and our phones would then connect.

The laptops didn't have this same problem so it may not be a problem with the access points but it seems Samsung Galaxy s3, and ASUS Transformer running Android had some kind of problem with Aruba.