Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP 109 wifi uplink

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  RAP 109 wifi uplink

Posted Feb 10, 2015 10:17 AM

Hi all,

I am testing out a 109 to use as a RAP for soho purposes.  The ethernet uplink works just fine.  I configured the 109 to use a wifi uplink as well.  When I converted the 109 to use a remote mobility controller I no longer see the wifi uplink area nor can I connect to wifi uplink.  The controllers are currently running 6.3.14 code.

Thanks,

Bill

• 2.  RE: RAP 109 wifi uplink

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2015 10:20 AM
    WiFi uplink is currently an Instant only feature. 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 3.  RE: RAP 109 wifi uplink

Posted Feb 10, 2015 10:27 AM

Thanks Tim.  I guess I need to read up on differences between IAP and RAPs. 

• 4.  RE: RAP 109 wifi uplink

Posted May 21, 2018 03:15 PM
    I'm sorry to necro a thread here, but I've been googling for days, and there is so much contradicting information. And this thread is the only direct question I can find that has been answered. I have a pair of RAP 109's. The OS will allow me to select wifi uplink, but it doesn't seem to work. The documentation also seems to suggest that I can put it into wifi uplink mode.

So is this still the case? Can the rap109's not use wifi uplink mode? If not, is the wifi selection in the OS just a bug, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: RAP 109 wifi uplink

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 22, 2018 12:09 AM

@papahyooiewrote:
    I'm sorry to necro a thread here, but I've been googling for days, and there is so much contradicting information. And this thread is the only direct question I can find that has been answered. I have a pair of RAP 109's. The OS will allow me to select wifi uplink, but it doesn't seem to work. The documentation also seems to suggest that I can put it into wifi uplink mode.

So is this still the case? Can the rap109's not use wifi uplink mode? If not, is the wifi selection in the OS just a bug, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

What version of Instant firmware are your RAP109s running?

You mention having a pair of 109s. Are they both at the same site participating as part of a cluster, or are they at different sites?

• 6.  RE: RAP 109 wifi uplink

Posted May 22, 2018 12:17 AM
    Firmware version 6.4.2.3-4.1.1.3_48994 according to the control panel.

The second one is not set up at all yet, but they will both be on the same site eventually.

Thanks

• 7.  RE: RAP 109 wifi uplink

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 22, 2018 09:00 PM

@papahyooiewrote:
    Firmware version 6.4.2.3-4.1.1.3_48994 according to the control panel.

The second one is not set up at all yet, but they will both be on the same site eventually.

I haven't tested wifi uplink in a long time, but as I understand it only the Virtual Controller (VC) will just the wifi, so if trying to use a cluster of APs then there needs to be a wired connection between the VC with the Wifi uplink and the other AP(s).

That said, Instant 4.1 code is pretty old, so it may be worthwhile to upgrade to newer code.