Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted Apr 28, 2013 11:01 AM

Hello i was wondering if this is possible? i dont have a rap3 to test right now.. but i ask because the option is there... but i also attended to a rap3 webinar in it which says

üTwo modes of operation
    •Instant AP (IAP) – factory default
    •Remote AP with Aruba controller

I do understand here that it just possible instant ap and connected to a controller by putting it as rap...

But what about the campus AP? can you convert this one in a campus AP?

Cheers
    Carlos

• 2.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted Apr 28, 2013 12:17 PM

That option is available on any of the IAPs 

Screen Shot 2013-04-28 at 12.18.50 PM.png

• 3.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted Apr 28, 2013 12:22 PM

yes thats what i said its available but does it work with rap3? have you actually done it? thats what im asking :) like i said the option is there but does it work for rap3s?

• 4.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted Apr 28, 2013 12:30 PM

Sorry missed that .

These are RAP3s operating modes :

OPERATING MODES
    • Wireless
    - 802.11b/g/n Mobility Controller-managed RAP
    - 802.11b/g/n Aruba Instant AP
    - 802.11b/g/n air monitor
    - Hybrid WLAN and air monitor
    - Configurable to support 802.11n HT 20/40 channels or
    mixed-mode deployment IEEE 802.11b/g/n

So it can just work as a RAP or as an Instant.

• 5.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted Apr 28, 2013 12:33 PM

ill get a rap3 and do the test to be 100% sure i mean the option is there and let see what happens..

So noone ever tried this?

• 6.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 28, 2013 01:29 PM

The RAP-108 / 109 is the only model supporting IAP, RAP, and CAP modes.

• 7.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted Apr 28, 2013 02:13 PM

Thanks Marcus!!!!!!

• 8.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted May 04, 2013 11:22 PM

Although I have not had success in "converting" directly to a Campus AP; a RAP-3 can definitly operate as a CAP; in fact I am on one right now.   The only way I was able to do it was to convert the RAP-3 to a RAP on a controller first.  Then once on the controlller, reprovision the RAP-3 as a campus AP by simply chaging the "Remote AP" section under Authentication Method from Yes to No on the provisioning page.   Assuming the discovery settings are setup right, it should boot as a campus AP.   

• 9.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted May 04, 2013 11:47 PM

do you have it on lab enviroment or on production?

I know Marcus said its not supported... and if you can do it maybe you can but maybe something wrong don tknow can happen like the rap3 doing funny stuff....

Cheers

Carlos

• 10.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted May 05, 2013 10:18 AM

It is not in a customer production environment; however the RAP datasheet says all RAPs can operate as Campus APs.   I think it is just the conversion process that doesn't work/isn't supported.

rap-campus.jpg

• 11.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted May 06, 2013 01:02 AM

clembo-

The RAP matrix is incorrect and Product Management is going to correct it.  Sorry for any confusion that may have created.  The only RAP that supports RAP + CAP modes is the RAP-108/109.

• 12.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted May 06, 2013 07:23 AM

@Marcus

Is Aruba's stance that other RAP models cannot be used as CAPs, or are just not supported at all?     I know it "works", so I assuming it is the support aspect that we are talking about.   

• 13.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted May 06, 2013 08:40 AM

Clembo i think it would be some case like for example

Airwaves in hyper V

It does work but Aruba does not give it support.. they just give it support on VMWARE, as i guest they have fully tested it with it and not with hyper V

Here like you said it WORKS becasue you are using it as it in your lab but Aruba does not support it, as if something happen and the tac see it he will say well thats not supported.  Maybe something like that marcus is referring?

Marcus?

• 14.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted May 06, 2013 09:39 AM

Correct.  We do not recommend or support CAP mode on RAPs except for the RAP-10x.

If you try it your results may vary and support will not assist.

• 15.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted Jun 25, 2013 08:32 AM
    Well I have deployed RAP-3WN, I always had problem to convert them from IAP to RAP so i always convert them from IAP to CAP and than i convert them from CAP to RAP,

I have done this procedure for 29 RAPs and all RAP-3WN worked perfectly fine in CAP Mode...

• 16.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted Jun 25, 2013 08:47 AM

Like Chris already ssaid it works the problem is with the support...

If you got an issue and they see you are using rap3 as CAPs TAC will not help you thats the problem!

Cheers

Carlos

• 17.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted May 05, 2013 10:30 AM
    Clembo , does it give an error if you try do it through the normal conversion (to campus AP) process on the GUI ?

• 18.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted May 05, 2013 12:11 PM

If I remember it did give some generic message; nothing specific.    Rather than troubleshoot at the time, I just configured as a RAP; then reprovisioned as a Campus AP as I knew that had worked before.

• 19.  RE: RAP 3 convertion to normal campus AP

Posted May 05, 2013 12:17 PM

Well it would be interesting to be really sure if this works... i mean there are some cases in which i would like to use this as CAP for clients with low budged....

Well it does work but the thing is that it doesnt give you any issue on the long run....