Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP-3WN-US - Amber WLAN light

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  RAP-3WN-US - Amber WLAN light

Posted Sep 21, 2012 05:56 PM

Hi,

I am trying to set up a RAP-3WN-US as a regular IAP (not in RAP mode). I have a functioning IAP network with several access points, and usually when I plug in a new IAP it appears on my controller software to be provisioned. This RAP is not appearing at all, though I see that it got an IP from our DHCP server. Power light: solid green, E0: solid green, WLAN: amber. Any ideas would be appreciated!

• 2.  RE: RAP-3WN-US - Amber WLAN light

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2012 06:06 PM

If it is new, you should see an INSTANT SSID being broadcast...  Do you?

After you connect and log in to the instant VC, you should use the convert function under the Maintenence Tab to turn it into a Campus AP.

• 3.  RE: RAP-3WN-US - Amber WLAN light

Posted Sep 21, 2012 06:13 PM

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

That's the weird thing. I don't see an "Instant" SSID, and the WLAN light is Amber.

• 4.  RE: RAP-3WN-US - Amber WLAN light

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2012 06:18 PM

Grab a paperclip.

Unplug IAP.  Hold paperclip in hole in bottom.  Power on IAP for 10 seconds.  Release paperclip.

See if the reset helps.

• 5.  RE: RAP-3WN-US - Amber WLAN light

Posted Sep 22, 2012 01:55 PM

Bullfrog-

Just to confirm...this is an IAP network and there is no external HW based controller.  Correct?

If this is an IAP only network I suspect one of two things:

1. Software mismatch between the existing IAP network and the RAP-3.  By chance, did you upgrade the existing IAP network to the latest 6.1.3.4-3.1.0.0_35320 from the TAC site?  If yes, when you add the RAP-3 there will be a mismatch as the RAP-3 has an older version of code from the factory.  6.1.3.4 has not been posted to the cloud servers yet so the RAP-3 cannot get upgraded automatically and the amber WLAN LED will come on..........tested this on my own setup.  To fix this wire the RAP-3 to a separate network and manually upgrade the SW.

2. Do you have "Auto-Join" disabled?  If yes, no new IAPs will be able to join the existing group and the amber WLAN LED will be on.  If this is the case set Auto-Join to enable and reboot the RAP-3.

• 6.  RE: RAP-3WN-US - Amber WLAN light

Posted Sep 24, 2012 10:33 AM

Hi,

I did the reset. WLAN light is still Amber and I cannot see the "instant" SSID.

Marcus,

Thanks for the reply. This is an IAP network only with no HW controller. I have not upgraded any software on my existing network, so I suppose the new IAP could have a newer software version. I'll check into it.

Edit: my IAP software currently in place is 6.1.2.3-2.0.0.3_31389

• 7.  RE: RAP-3WN-US - Amber WLAN light

Posted Sep 24, 2012 11:07 AM

Edit: my IAP software currently in place is 6.1.2.3-2.0.0.3_31389

Upgrade the SW on the existing group to 6.1.3.1_3.0.0.0 or greater -- this is the minimum version to support the RAP-3.  Go to the Maintenance tab > Firmware > Check for new version.

After the group is running 6.1.3.1_3.0.0.0 connect the RAP-3 to the group.

At that point, if you like, manually upgrade to 6.1.3.4 for all the newest features or wait till later in the week when it is posted to the cloud update servers.

• 8.  RE: RAP-3WN-US - Amber WLAN light

Posted Sep 24, 2012 12:08 PM

Hi Marcus.

I checked for new version, and it said no new version was available. Is there a way to manually download the image?

Thanks!

• 9.  RE: RAP-3WN-US - Amber WLAN light

Posted Sep 24, 2012 12:32 PM

• 10.  RE: RAP-3WN-US - Amber WLAN light

Posted Sep 24, 2012 01:02 PM

Do you have to have an account in order to get the image? I didn't have one, so I created one--it says to wait 3-5 days--is this the only way to manually get the image?

• 11.  RE: RAP-3WN-US - Amber WLAN light

Posted Sep 24, 2012 04:32 PM
    Yes. You need login credentials to download the image. As mentioined by Marcus, if you wait until end of this week then it would be available on the cloud server as well.