Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Radius Server Setup and Configuration

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Radius Server Setup and Configuration

Posted Mar 02, 2020 03:15 PM

Hello all, I need to set up a Radius server, along with using Aruba access points, and need some instruction on how to go about doing so.

I have a Windows Server 2012 R2 I can use. I have checked out the instructions for that side of it, but I need to know the particulars on connecting with Aruba equipment. I am not using Airwave, just IAPs set up to act as virtual controllers. I am running version 6.4.4.8-4.2.4.10_62611 on everything, since I have some older IAP-105s in use. 

I would like to use the Windows server if that is a good choice, or I am open to other systems such as FreeRadius. I am trying to keep the cost down as much as possible. 

What I need is a step-by-step instruction manual, if that is possible. Is there something like that already available? If so, will you please share it with me.

I just want to do this right from the beginning to prevent problems later. I greatly appreciate ALL help!!! Many thanks!!!

• 2.  RE: Radius Server Setup and Configuration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 02, 2020 03:51 PM

• 3.  RE: Radius Server Setup and Configuration

Posted Mar 03, 2020 02:03 AM

Dear, 

If i am not using Clearpass, i use Tekradius LT. The lt (limited) version doesnt integrate with AD but its super simple to setup. Let me know if you want to go that way, will prepare and share the video on how to set it up. 

I am not fond of NPS (atleast for now). But its integration with AD is seamless. 

• 4.  RE: Radius Server Setup and Configuration

Posted Mar 03, 2020 03:41 AM

Hi, 

I have made the video and uploaded it on youtube. You may view it from below url

https://youtu.be/eUPywWyvg7Y

• 5.  RE: Radius Server Setup and Configuration

Posted Mar 03, 2020 10:37 AM

I really need it to integrate with AD. Can you tell me about why you said you are not fond of NPS? Just trying to get an idea of what issues might appear. Thanks!

• 6.  RE: Radius Server Setup and Configuration

Posted Mar 03, 2020 10:54 AM

Hi, 

Using Clearpass for a while, i find its interface and workflows to be intuitive and easy to understand. The very first radius server i got working was TekRadius (setting the LT version is almost a breeze). So coming from that background i found NPS workflow to be daunting at first but i havent actually played with it. So ignore my comments. 

If you are concerned about costing but only need Radius/AAA (no TACACS) services, NPS is your best bet.