Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Recommend outdoor AP .. for a

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Recommend outdoor AP .. for a

Posted Jan 08, 2019 06:28 PM
      |   view attached

Hi there

I am looking for recomendation for an outdoor AP (northern Alberta so very harse weather -31 degrees Celsius  right now) .  I have 2 small buildings that are close together that I want to bring network too.  BUT .. we dont have an uplink at either building.  SO I need something that could either repeat an existing SSID from a transmitting device that is connected to the network at a third location)   We have use P2P system in the past to bring network to other buildings, and then installed an AP.. just curious if we could plug a transmitter into the network in building 3... and then have an exterior AP inbetween the other 2 buildings that would allow WiFi connections in building 1 and building 2)

On the Map attached.  I want the blue circle to be the exterior AP that would allow WiFi connections to House 1 and House 2..  While the Red circle is the source (connected) to the network.

• 2.  RE: Recommend outdoor AP .. for a

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 09, 2019 04:43 AM

There are some possible solutions. My first thought would be to have a look at the AP-387 which is a 60GHz+5GHz point-to-point AP. With two of them you can create a point-to-point link and have a high bandwidth alternative to a cable. That AP is rated down to -40 Celsius.

As an alternative, if you have an existing Aruba controller or Instant deployment, you can use mesh with the Aruba outdoor APs. Please check the operational temperature ranges, but I think most are rated down to -40 degrees Celsius.

Probably it is best to find a local Aruba partner or contact the local Aruba sales team to design the best solution.

• 3.  RE: Recommend outdoor AP .. for a

Posted Jan 16, 2019 10:37 AM

I dont want a point to point . as then you would need more devices to allow clients to access the WiFi..

I am seeking something that can be connected to our exsisting network that transmits to an Acess point on the outside of the other 2 buildings. that woudl allow access /  connection to the WiFi

• 4.  RE: Recommend outdoor AP .. for a

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 28, 2019 06:34 PM

Depending on the client load, and distance since I didn't see it noticed, but whether you want to servie clients on the 5Ghz radio used for mesh is up to you (anything more than 2-4 clients on the 5Ghz radio will slow down the mesh backhaul. Otherwise, reserve the 5Ghz for mesh, do clients just on 2.4Ghz. If you need to separate the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz for directional antennas, or want to put 2.4Ghz inside one building with 5Ghz mesh antenna outside, you can use the AP-374 (if AP is mounted outside) or AP-318 (if the antenna is located outside). 

• 5.  RE: Recommend outdoor AP .. for a

Posted Feb 20, 2019 04:31 PM

@jhoward wrote:

Depending on the client load, and distance since I didn't see it noticed, but whether you want to servie clients on the 5Ghz radio used for mesh is up to you (anything more than 2-4 clients on the 5Ghz radio will slow down the mesh backhaul. Otherwise, reserve the 5Ghz for mesh, do clients just on 2.4Ghz. If you need to separate the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz for directional antennas, or want to put 2.4Ghz inside one building with 5Ghz mesh antenna outside, you can use the AP-374 (if AP is mounted outside) or AP-318 (if the antenna is located outside). 

I did not know you could do that,.

Now there are a cpl trees in the line of site.

We already have 80+ Aruba AP's on this site .. With a VC.. 

Is there a phone number to call to get help with this type of deployment.?

• 6.  RE: Recommend outdoor AP .. for a

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 21, 2019 03:59 PM

Using your local partner, Aruba SE, or this board would be your way forward, there's no phone number to walk through basic setup, though you can certainly open a TAC case, but they likely would not be able to sit on the phone on demand. 

• 7.  RE: Recommend outdoor AP .. for a

Posted Feb 21, 2019 04:06 PM

i just wanted to talk to a sales person, or a tech about what would work 

• 8.  RE: Recommend outdoor AP .. for a

Posted Feb 20, 2019 04:43 PM

we have a system with over 80 AP's (225 or 220 models)  and they are managed by the Virtual Controller... 

Can you still only assign the 5Ghz for the mesh and the 2.4 for clients without it affecting the rest of the system? 

So it would only take affect for this 1 connection 

or does the mesh have to be a stand alone system.  

@jhoward wrote:

• 9.  RE: Recommend outdoor AP .. for a

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 21, 2019 04:12 PM

So if the intent is to use 387 PtP (or any IAP mesh) to bridge between two networks to carry the same IAPs on the same VC, that is NOT supported. The best thing to do would be to use AOS 8.4 and make the AP-387 PtP a pair of standalone IAPs doing mesh (supported in 8.4 and later). Then you can keep all your client serving APs on the same VC. 

And you can use AP-377 or AP-374s for the PtP as well, and make that a standalone PtP mesh link. The thing we don't support is the mesh APs and the IAPs bridged to the same VC.

• 10.  RE: Recommend outdoor AP .. for a

Posted Feb 20, 2019 04:25 PM

esting. So i could just put an Ap-387 on the uplink building (red circle) and it would transmits to another AP-387 in the blue circle (in the picture)   and would not need anything else?  

JUst need to make sure 

thank you

• 11.  RE: Recommend outdoor AP .. for a

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 21, 2019 03:58 PM

Yes you could use a pair of 387s (so long as the link is at or under 400m) and then use that as a bridge to another AP or group of APs, switches, etc.