Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Reduce interference on 5ghz

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Reduce interference on 5ghz

Posted Dec 03, 2019 09:52 AM

Hi,

Is there a way to reduce the interference on 5ghz on IAP315? 

We have 6 IAP315's in a store and there is interfence on 5ghz bleeding through the the walls from other shops.  I've been looking into increasing the Interfernce immunity level from 2 - 3, 4 or 5.  Will that help?  Is there any other way?

Many Thanks,

Sean

• 2.  RE: Reduce interference on 5ghz

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 03, 2019 01:47 PM

How are you measuring interference?

• 3.  RE: Reduce interference on 5ghz

Posted Dec 03, 2019 02:47 PM

The only way to reduce the bleed through from neighbors is to get them to turn down their signal, or install some sort of shielding.

Bleed through isn't precisely the same thing as interference though.

ARM will do a good job of adjusting channels to avoid the worst effects of interference.

In what way are you being affected by the neighbors signals?

• 4.  RE: Reduce interference on 5ghz

Posted Dec 04, 2019 02:45 AM

I am mearusing the level of interference on Airwave, some AP's are gettng about 10% interference.  I've also looked on the VC and can see multiple other ssid's being detected.

I'm not 100% but I think it is affacting the voice picking devices we use in stores from functioning fully.  The devices beep (which causes delays for upto 10 mins) when they are struggling with signal, can't contact the server or bandwidht is low.

Cheers, 

Sean

• 5.  RE: Reduce interference on 5ghz

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2019 04:41 AM

You cannot do anything about interference, besides work around it, in general.   You can:

- Make sure you are using 20 mhz channels on the 5ghz band.  Enable DFS channels if your picking devices support it and make sure they are configured to scan those extra channels, so that you can attempt to diversify your environment to avoid interference.

- Access points are very sensitive and can "see" other wireless networks that are outside your organization, but that is typically not the first thing to be worried about.

- You can attempt to turn one of your access points into a spectrum monitor to see if you can identify any of the forms of interference and then remove it from your environment.

- If this is a controller-based network, I would type "show ap arm state" on the commandline to see how many of your own access points can be seen by your own access points.  It is possible you have to reduce the transmit power on the 5ghz band to avoid cochannel interference.

• 6.  RE: Reduce interference on 5ghz

Posted Dec 04, 2019 05:26 AM

Thanks. What transmit power do you recommend? or would it be a case of trial and error?

Cheers,

Sean

• 7.  RE: Reduce interference on 5ghz

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2019 07:02 AM

Start at 15 maximum and Minimum on the 5ghz band.  That will attempt to match the transmit power of devices that would connect to the AP.  It will be trial and error to see if you have enough coverage.

• 8.  RE: Reduce interference on 5ghz

Posted Dec 04, 2019 11:25 AM

What brand of voice-picking equipment are you using?

Most of the "interference" problems we've had have been due to client-side issues more than AP-side.

• 9.  RE: Reduce interference on 5ghz

Posted Dec 05, 2019 02:12 AM

Hi Matthew

We are using Motorola Wt41n0 for voice picking.

Cheers,

Sean