Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Roaming seems broken since 4.1 update for Apple devices

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Roaming seems broken since 4.1 update for Apple devices

Posted Aug 07, 2014 11:00 AM

When I was running my five IAPs on 4.0.0.6, roaming was working great and I got lots of compliments. 

Ever since upgrading to 4.1.0.0 and now 4.1.0.1, people have been complaining wifi dropouts on iMac/Macbook and roaming just doesn't work on iPhones (all iPhone 4s and above). When the iPhone tries to roam, it connects but the user has no internet at all. This seems to be a problem for multiple users including my boss, so not good.

802.11k was turned on by default it seems after the 4.1.0.0 upgrade, 802.11r was not so I enabled that thinking it would help. Unfortunately it seems to have had zero effect on roaming abilities. 

Is anyone else noticing this since the upgrade? I'm actually thinking of downgrading the devices because I had way fewer problems and complaints.

• 2.  RE: Roaming seems broken since 4.1 update for Apple devices

Posted Aug 07, 2014 11:04 AM

How is your settings on Client Match? 

• 3.  RE: Roaming seems broken since 4.1 update for Apple devices

Posted Aug 07, 2014 11:07 AM

I havent messed with the defaults at all, but here they are:

Client match: Enabled

calc interval: 30 seconds

neighbor matching: 75%

threshold: 2

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Roaming seems broken since 4.1 update for Apple devices

Posted Aug 07, 2014 11:42 AM

OKC was enabled by default in 4.0.0.x but is now disabled in 4.1.  I have not checked, though, to see what happens to that setting on an SSID to see if once enabled it stays enabled through the upgrade.    Check it under the security settings on the SSID.   This only applies if you are doing WPA2-Enterprise.  I don't think the Macs support 802.11r yet.

Also, is this a single cluster or are the users roaming from one cluster to another?

• 5.  RE: Roaming seems broken since 4.1 update for Apple devices

Posted Aug 07, 2014 12:33 PM

Marcus,

This is a single cluster of five IAPs on one floor. Thanks for the reply.

• 6.  RE: Roaming seems broken since 4.1 update for Apple devices

Posted Aug 07, 2014 02:27 PM

OKC was turned on before and verified it is still turned on after the upgrade. I did turn off 802.11k/r on our SSID used for mobile devices, still contemplating turning it off on the user laptops SSID.

• 7.  RE: Roaming seems broken since 4.1 update for Apple devices

Posted Aug 07, 2014 02:27 PM

Did you have any luck disabling 802.11r & k? with Client Match enabled?

--edit too late 

/niklas

• 8.  RE: Roaming seems broken since 4.1 update for Apple devices

Posted Aug 07, 2014 11:46 AM

Hi, 

I have had success with disabling 802.11r, 802.11k, and client match enabled, somehow iDevices have trouble roaming with the settings on.

--EDIT

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5535 just found this

/niklas

• 9.  RE: Roaming seems broken since 4.1 update for Apple devices

Posted Aug 07, 2014 12:32 PM

Ive seen that SK too. All devices on the network are compatible with it, so not sure why there are more problems with it enabled.

Thanks.