Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Rogue APs & AM

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Rogue APs & AM

Posted Mar 13, 2017 02:59 PM

Im looking for info on how many Rogue APs can a single Air Monitor contain. Ive currently got my network setup to tarpitt any rogues and it works well. But what happens if everyone in my office starts the hotspot on their phones?

• 2.  RE: Rogue APs & AM

Posted Mar 13, 2017 03:08 PM

I realize it also depends on how many clients are associated with the rogue AP. So lets say 5 clients per rogue and 20 rogues. Thats 100 clients total. Can a single AM handle that?

• 3.  RE: Rogue APs & AM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 13, 2017 03:11 PM
    I don't know how many it can contain at one time, but tarpitting is very effective with low bandwidth. It typically only has to do it once and the client must disable then reenable their laptop. The older deauth method took constant deauths to work..

• 4.  RE: Rogue APs & AM

Posted Mar 13, 2017 03:26 PM

Youre awesome. Thanks CJ!

• 5.  RE: Rogue APs & AM

Posted Mar 13, 2017 03:11 PM

Technically a phone hotspot is not a rogue. To be considered rogue an unauthorized device would have to be wired to your network and wirelessly broadcasting and allowing client connections. A phone hotspot is really an interferer. 

The recommendation from Aruba is a single monitor per 4-6 APs. I dont believe I have ever seen published what the capacity for the number of rogue instances is regarding containment. 

• 6.  RE: Rogue APs & AM

Posted Mar 13, 2017 03:27 PM

Its organizational terminology. I just use it so much in that definition that its second nature. My appologies. But thank you for the info. I appreciate it.